Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Provided you're pedaling at least 10 mph and in daylight do you think bicycles should be allowed on highways / expressways .. why or why not?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • ALBERT
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

No. Highways have usually only a few  lanes going in each direction. You are going slowly and are unprotected. Sometimes drivers are sleepy, distracted or hear their cell. phone ringing. They go so fast that by the time they see you they have to swerve to avoid you. that puts the lives of other drivers in danger. That is why they have something like a 45 mph min. speed limit on the hwys usually. so that the relative speed is not too high but in case the relative speed is quite high (like 70mph -10mph = 60mph.) that creates quite a dangerous situation. In my humble opinion in case that would be allowed it would be like playing the Russian roulette! 

• 1 month ago

Here is something to consider.  You are a road vehicle.  In the UK this has been the case since about 1850, when they were legally designated as carriages.  The problem with riding on the pavement is that your average pedestrian is clueless.  They spread across the entire path and even when on a shared cycle path will shout at you.for riding on it.  But consider another problem.  You have parked up for breakfast and are just stepping out of the shop carrying you donut and choccy machiato, when wham.  You get hit by a cycle going 20 mph.  Go directly to A and E, do not pass go, do not collect 200.

This is the other problem with bikes.  They are the most efficient muscle powered transport out there.  I have got over 40 mph out of min and typically will ride on the flat at over 20 mph.  Some riders, check out descent videos on youtube, can get 60 mph.

We are too fast for pavements, we should be on the road. Also, many cycle paths and pavements are not very well maintained.  Black ice, thorns from bushes, major root damage make some cyclepaths quite dangerous.  That said, if the local govt would build a cycleway, a decent cycleway, next to each newly constructed stretch of road, I would use it.  But then again, a lot would depend upon how well it was maintained.

Cycles however, are road vehicles.  Every driving book out there shows cycles on the road (In the UK that is the highway code).  Better cycling infrastructure would be good, but in the meantime car drivers need to learn to share and some cyclists need to work on their road skills.

That said.  If your highway, express way is the same as the UK motorway, then hell no.  Having cars wizz past you at 70 mph, or more to the point, getting sucked under a lorry travelling at those speeds.  No chuffing way.  These were designed for cars and other motorized vehicles.  I still think that having a cycle path next to it would be a good idea for longer distance riding, but no.  I would not touch this with a ten foot barge pole.

Luck

• 2 months ago

On a freeway, everyone is supposed to be going at *relatively* the same speed. Which is to say, roughly 70 mph plus or minus 10. Mopeds and small motorcycles are barred, bicycles are too (with exceptions for places where there are no alternate routes.) Bicycles should stick to other surface roads and stay off freeways.

• 2 months ago

I say do not travel on any road that goes 50-MPH and beyond. The police will pull you over.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • D50
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The reason the limited-access highways with high minimum speeds were built was to provide a safe way for motor vehicles to cruise at high speeds. No, low-speed vehicles should not be allowed to mix it up on those roads.

• 2 months ago

No, 10 mph isn't enough to keep up at a safe speed on a highway especially an expressway.

• 2 months ago

They need their own dedicated cycleways.

• 2 months ago

Define your idea of a highway and/or expressway.  Most places in the USA, cyclists aren't allowed on "limited access roads".  A brief description would be a road with both a posted speed limit & speed MINIMUM - such as an interstate highway.  You can't expect a cyclist to reach & maintain 40 to 45 mph.  

If there's no posted speed minimum, cyclists (and other slow vehicles) are allowed.  Examples would be a farm tractor moving from field-to-field on a 2 lane country road with a 55 mph speed limit.  Or, an Amish horse & buggy.  I've seen lots of those in Pennsylvania, Ohio & Iowa.  In some states (out west) cyclist are permitted to be on the shoulder of an interstate highway.  The reason being...there's NO parallel side road.  

I will add this note...  "Discretion is the better part of valor." - William Shakespeare http://www.bardwords.org/famous-shakespeare-quotes...  In other words, it's better to avoid a dangerous situation than to confront it.  Many times I'll find a parallel side street to avoid a super-busy road with clueless motorists driving anywhere from 10 to 20 mph (or more) beyond the speed limit.  

You wanna see a brief video on how it's done right?  The League of American Bicyclists posted this way back on Mar 31, 2008.  You can also check out classes in person or online from Cycling Savvy.  https://cyclingsavvy.org/  Here's the video...

https://youtu.be/rU4nKKq02BU

Youtube thumbnail

• 2 months ago

i dont think so, it dont sound safe

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.