Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 2 months ago

Do Irish people born in America have to visit Ireland in order to be Irish?

• Ludwig

They can visit any place that will let them in.   Try Disneyland.  Plastic paddies are a source of money and amusement for the Irish.

• Orla C

If you are an American citizen, you can call yourself Irish while in America. Unless you were born in Ireland, or have lived there for much of your life, you are not considered Irish in Ireland or in Europe generally. There's a difference in meaning in the word in the US, where it refers to one's heritage and ancestry while everyone around is assumed to be a US citizen; however in European countries including Ireland itself, you would be considered an American of Irish ancestry, and not Irish. 

If you're born and raised in the States? Then you're a Yank. If you're born and raised in Ireland? Then you're Irish.  It's as simple as that. 

People BORN in Ireland are Irish. People BORN in America are American. Your ANCESTRY may include Irish, but that doesn't make you Irish; neither does visiting. You can't become a citizen of any country by merely visiting. 

Individuals brought into the world in the USA are American, perhaps they have Irish family so most "Irish-Americans" who case to likewise be Irish are not, just in the event that their parent/s or grandparent/s are lawful Irish nationals then they could apply to likewise turn into an Irish natioanal.

For somebody to be a public of Ireland they don't need to visit Ireland however they do should be lawfully enlisted as an Irish public and they are still Americans in the event that they visit Ireland utilizing an American visa

• Maxi

People born in the USA are American, maybe they have Irish ancestry so most "Irish- Americans" who claim to also be Irish are not, only  if their parent/s or grandparent/s are legal Irish nationals then they could apply to also become an Irish natioanal.

For someone to be a national of Ireland they do not have to visit Ireland but they do need to be legally registered as an Irish national and they are still Americans if they visit Ireland using an American passport

they have to speak Gaeilge or Hiberno to be ethnically Irish

I'm not sure what the legal requirements for the nationality (being legally Irish) are

• hihi!

Born in USA, one is American. Irish background (of which I have) does not make me Irish any more than French, Czech, German and any other ethnicities I can conjure from my relatives. I am American, as are you. Were you to move to Ireland, get citizenship there, and all the happiness of red tape or marriage which led to your being allowed to live and work in Ireland, yhen you could truly say "I am Irish"... without "descendant".

People of Irish descent born in America are no longer Irish (although they may be able to claim a passport) - they're American of Irish descent...

• Petter

No, they don't. But expect to be called an american when you visit Ireland.