Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

.300 Winchester Mag is normally considered the minimum for Grizzly/Polar Bear Defence. So why are the 5,000 Canadian  Rangers issued ?

Tikka carbines in .308?  And why are the Danish Navy Greenland Sled Patrol issued Glock pistols in 10 mm? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers

• Toruko

I've carried a shotgun in early spring

and late fall.  The heavy Savage

Model 24.  Otherwise, bigger bells

and bear pepper spray, but I also

talk to bears I've heard.  The reply

sounds like disgust but I've met 

worse brutes here in Yahoo 

First, these officials don't shoot the bears. Even the sound from a .22 is enough to turn a bear away.

• Rick

The .308 and the Win .300 mag are almost the same, but the .300 is just a bit longer for more power ..................

Are you seriously asking peoole in this group to explain the weapons procurement decisions of foreign military orgnizations? Try the Military section.

Two wild guesses here:

1. Why are the 5,000 Canadian Rangers issued Tikka carbines in .308?

My guess is because they are highly proficient with their rifle. Hey if nothing else it looks good on paper.

2. Why are the Danish Navy Greenland Sled Patrol issued Glock pistols in 10 mm?

My next guess is, the Glock can't possibly be their primary firearm is it? Surely at least a few of them have a rifle of some sort. At least I would hope so.

Them Canadian Rangers is so tough they can kill a polar bear with a bootlace and a pointy stick.  The rifle is just for show.

Winchester’s are very dangerous. 

• BBean

Usually police and military personnel are issued what the governing agency has provided in their contract budget for defense and/or apprehension of two legged animals. My local authorities carry 9mm or .40 cal. but the dangerous quadrupeds in my area are wild boars and feral dogs so hunters and special LEO units carry heavier and more powerful ammo. 

The primary function of both groups is not about killing Grizzly/Polar Bears!

As of 2011 the Canadian Rangers were going switch over to the 7.62 NATO round. But this was stopped and now they are going to the 308 Winchester. 

The Sirius Dog Sled patrol has on their sleds at least one M1917 Springfield rifle chambered for a 30-06. Two types of ammunition for it are carried, a 168 grain full metal jacket (military round) and regular hunting ammunition.

The 30-06 round is full capable of bringing down either bear and so is the 308 with the proper round. The reason for popularity of both the 308 and the 30-06 is the wide range of powder charges and weights of bullets to choose from.

A 308 with a 180 grain bullet will bring down either bear.

The same bullet will do the job when used with a 30-06 shell case (but rounds can be found to at least 220 grains).

Consider this the 308, 30-06, 30-03 British, .300 Winchester Mag (and the Mauser 8 mm) are all in the same caliper range (about .300 of an inch). What takes down a bear is the combination of muzzle velocity and bullet weight. Some shell casings do not have sufficient volume to load a charge that will produce the kinetic energy needed to do the job (like the 7.62 Russian short).

Please up date your data and enjoy my ramble.

• Robin

No as I have shot polar bear many times with 303british