Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

How. To get old employees to follow new rules?

I am the manager of a auto repair shop. There is a new owner with some new policies

First, every day you wear a clean shirt and pants. You are issued 10 pairs of pants. You have 10  long sleeve shirts and 10 short sleeve shirts. A commercial laundry cleans theme. All tools are put away when not in use. All trash picked up. The floors are scrubbed daily. The place and staff are neat and clean. Some old timers will wear the same uniform for a week. They don't keep the work areas a clean. The biggest problem is they haven't scrubbed the floor once. It is dirty. The new owner spent over $600 on a floor buffer with a brush and the carton hasn't been opened yet. It is hard enough to get the place swept. I had to do it today.

I don't want to make them want to quit, but I am under a lot of pressure to get the place much cleaner. Any ideas? Thanks.

I am wondering what moron is worried about buffing the floor of an auto repair shop daily...

• L

Give each employee a copy of the new rules.....then, give them a week or so to change their bad habits and if they refuse - let them go.

You need to practice leadership or you will be the one looking fora new job. it Is your job to manage the employees!

Write out a schedule of shop duties that need to be preformed by the employees. For example, create a white board with Sunday thru Saturday tasks and have the employee who does the work initial the board when the task is completed.

Have a note there, Also stating that fresh clean uniforms are mandatory ... etc. sign the bottom of the whiteboard "THE OWNER".

Have a staff meeting to show them the board and what is expected from the owner and that it is YOUR JOB to be certain these things are done as requested, when requested. inform them that this is THEIR JOB requirement and there are plenty of unemployed people who are waiting to work and receive their paycheck. If they quit, so WHAT? Out with the old, in with the new!

GROW A BACKBONE!

• drip

Ok, now that you have let them get away with it, and shown them you will clean up after them, why would think they need to be following the new rules?

Do you get time to address all of them before work? Then tell all of them. Not everyone is keeping up with the new rules. That needs to stop today. Part of your job is to clean up after yourself and clean up the area. 

Have the new rules listed out and posted. 

Come up with a rotating schedule of who scrubs the floor, each day or each week. 

You need to do YOUR job and you are not.

I am 60+ years old female. When I close the store I have to gather up the trash and take it out, dust, vacuum. Make sure the store is neat and tidy. The counter is all set for the next day. 

We all help during the day to keep it up. We had a dress code switch and it was an adjustment for all of us. But when someone didn’t complete the manager on duty told them. Hey, remember no red shirts anymore. 

They are grown men who can easily do this extra work. They all need to pitch in during the day and before the place is closed. Address all employees About the dress code. Not everyone is complying with the new dress code. Clean shirts and pants are a requirement  each day. 

You can not be waving on this because you think they might quit. I don’t understand why telling them to adhere to the new policies would make them quit. They are not unreasonable. 

They have the right to quit if they wan to. You would not be forcing them to quit.  In this pandemic I would think they would want to hold on to their job.

• garry

simple either follow them or your fired , there choice .

• CB

Sometimes the old timers need to be replaced. PIP them after a verbal warning.  Let them go if they don't improve. 

I was installing new point of sale machines in the 80s (they took  a huge load of work off the sales associates - paint stores). A couple of the old timers just couldn't adjust and quit on their own - too bad it wasn't complicated just a change to make life better.

Old employees have the same responsibilities as new ones. You make the rules, they have to follow the rules, OR they are let go. That's just a no-brainer. You DO have to enforce the rules, by firing non-compliant employees, or you won't get anywhere with your OTHER employees. Why should older employees have DIFFERENT requirements? 

Hold a staff meeting and let them know that they have a short amount of time to comply with the rules that have been set, or they will be disciplined or let go. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • hihi!

In dirty clothes- send them home to change... OFF THE CLOCK if not paid "shop time". 

Cleaning; new rules for all. If they don't want to clean, there are others who will replace them. As someone said, have a meeting and lay out the new rules. "I'm new in this company and I want necessary change..." Besides, clutter is dangerous as are dirty workplaces. Oil, water, debris can cause falls, etc.

"Managing" means you run the show. If the owner wants these new policies and you do not get results, you are not managing people and will be replaces.

Floor buffer? "John, unpack the buffer and work on these floors today". 

Get everyone together and explain the cleanliness policy. In these Covid times you have the perfect justification for implementing new regimes. Unless it is in their job description, don't expect mechanics to clean premises: that is the job of a cleaner.

• Rick B

You are a manager and don't know how to enforce rules or motivate employees?????

Out line the rules and the consequences.  Warn them when they break a rule.  

No, you did not have to sweep, you should have told one of your employees to do it.

There are A LOT of people looking for work right now.