Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

How likely would burglars be to target a house with a front garden?

Does a front garden make it at all inconvenient for burglars, or does it attract them to the house more? And would they steal any garden ornaments- or are they only interested in breaking in the house?

You're in the UK, right? We don't have front gardens in the US-- we have yards. I don't think burglars in the UK would steal garden ornaments- they're not very valuable. I've been broken into a few times. I have a corner house, with a door concealed from the road. That seems to make my house a target. But you have a very low crime rate in the UK compared to the US-- mostly because you have better programs to support people with low incomes. So I wouldn't worry about it. Anyway, the times I was broken into, everything was covered by insurance. 

At night they can't see a damn thing like all the rakes you got upside down in the garden just waiting to be stepped on. Those are what we call CAT burglars.  They always schit in the garden.

It might make it more difficult for a casual thief to look in through your windows, which might have an effect on whether they broke in. Having a burglar alarm would be a more significant deterrent.

A garden is neither security or an invitation for burglary. However, what is an invitation is landscaping (taller bushes and trees ) as this gives a burglar a place to lurk behind and break into your home without being seen. Specifically at the entrance or infront of windows. Do not crowd the area near the garage door with large plantings in the unlikely event a potential thief could hide to come inside when you pull into the garage. 

So, if you want window privacy, don't use any plantings that hide the window, but use interior window coverings instead, and low growing plants. 

Go ahead with garden plans. Also, install a motion detector exterior light fora bit of added security.

As far as the potential of having garden ornaments stolen is certainly a possibility because face it,the act of theft is a desperate thing and desperate people do desperate things

It depends on how hungry they are.

many burglars are looking for vaulables to support there drug habit. those sensor lights are a good idea.

• G

I only break into houses that have a garden in front, preferably luscious red tomatoes and maybe some arugula. 

To a burglar a garden makes no difference either way. A kid causing mischief is more likely to swipe pots, not a burglar.

The local police recommend that the front garden should not obscure the view of the house from the street since this gives thieves cover.  It's true that the two people I know who've been burgled have had very tall leylandii hedges at the end of the front garden.  Yes, thieves do steal garden ornaments and even ornamental plants!  They have a good resale value at car boot sales/ local facebook.  Even wreaths are stolen off front doors in the run up to Christmas.  You'll often see things like ornament baytrees in pots at the front door discretely chained up if you look carefully because they're popular with "grab and run" thieves.  Police say that being visible using your front garden deters anti-social behaviour.

PS, I see that "divided by a common tongue" has struck again!  Dear Americans, front garden = front yard as opposed to a building set more or less right on the pavement/sidewalk.  We even do crime differently, it appears.

Well, a lot of people will steal your vegetables.   In Russia, people have gardens and you have to guard it when the vegetables are ready.  I have never heard of someone being shot guarding vegetables, but there are a lot of people shot protecting their homes.  Or causing the envy of having something too nice that it attracts attention.  So, depending upon where you live, be careful of how much you expose yourself.