When you’re reading the back of something that has cheese in it, and it says enzymes, does that obviously mean it has animal rennet?

no it does not because vegetable/fruit items also contain enzymes.  Pineapple for example contains a large amount of bromelian which is a digestive enzyme that makes your mouth sore when you eat too much raw pineapple. Enzymes can come from both plant and animal sources.

Sorry, no, that is not what it means.  Enzymes are part of the process of making cheese while rennet is a hardening agent.  The harder the cheese the greater the chances of rennet being used.  But even that is not absolute as many commercial forms of cheese use a substitute for rennet that makes it vegetarian friendly especially in countries such as the US, Canada and even the UK.  France is one of the few countries that still uses animal rennet in most types of cheese based on the last research I did.

I don't know what enzymes or animal rennet are. I've heard the terminology, but have no idea what it's talking about. So, I can't say.

• kswck2

No. Enzymes in cheese come from elsewhere. 

Looking at some of your other answers I'd like to demonstrate that I understand - vegetarians can consume dairy products, such as cheese, but would usually  want to avoid rennet produced from slaughtered animals.

No, the word “enzymes” doesn't automatically mean that animal rennet has been used. Some enzymes are produced from plants.

No, many enzymes are bacterially derived.

Cheese is made from milk.  Milk comes from animals.   So yes, it  would have animal enzymes.

Why would it matter. Cheese is made from milk, and is not part of the vegan lifestyle. Enzymes are not living organisms, but are, again, an animal byproduct.

• denise

If it has vegetarian cheese in it they would have said so on the label.

No, obviously it does not. Many bacterial enzymes these days do not come from animal sources.