Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

Why is it illegal to saw off the stock of any rifle or shotgun, when it's your firearm and the barrel is not changed?

Is not that unconstitutional to tell people what they can and cant do with their own purchases rifle or shotgun?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

whew. kind of a swing and a miss there.

it is NOT illegal to saw the stock, OR the barrel off your gun.

however, if after the modifications the firearm is under 26 inches in overall length, then thats the issue. 

is it constitutional? absolutely not. 

logical? absolutely not. 

the hill i'd die on? i had to think about that. but no.

firearms are one of, if not THE most regulated items in the world, second only to vehicles.

• Quinn
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

A lot of things are unconstitutional, but they still exist with full weight of the law. The 2nd Amendment clearly states the rights of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed. The last time I checked there were over 4,000 laws on gun control which means over 4,000 infringements on a constitutional right.

Rights have to be jealously defended, but every time some whacko kills someone, the bleeding heart sanctimonious Left demand more laws and people allow them. And now we are where we are today. And if you think things are bad, just remember this:  Joe Biden is anti-gun.  As he told a 2nd Amendment  supporter: "I don't work for you." 

• 1 month ago

Short stocks are not illegal, only shortened barrels.  

• 1 month ago

Strange because in the UK where everyone thinks guns are banned, it's legal to shorten a stock, it's only the barrel that you can't shorten.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It is illegal because back in the 20s and 30s organized crime was a problem,  as was bank robbery.    They passed a law in 1934 to ban guns but because of the second amendment they had to allow guns that were appropriate for the military.   Since sawed off shotguns and rifles were not used by the military they banned them.   Machine guns on the other hand were appropriate so what they did there was stick a $200 tax on it.    In 1994 they just ignored that logic and banned the sale of new machine guns,  you can only buy old ones.   

• 1 month ago

Why is Travis so interested in CTMs pecker? Weird.....

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I heard CTM has a very short barrel.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Some politician somewhere or some idiot liberal thought that is was easier to conceal a firearm less than 26" long, unless it is a pistol.

• 1 month ago

As long as the shotgun barrel is over 18in and the rifle barrel 16in and the overall length is 26in or more, saw off anything you want.

But these rules are only for the law abiding criminals, so they can make sure they're not breaking gun laws while they're breaking other laws about robbery or murder

• 2 months ago

Overall constitutionality discussions aside, one of the reasons is that long guns (rifles and shotguns) are treated differently than any other type of firearm.  For example, the minimum age to purchase from a dealer is 18 for long  guns, 21 for every other type of firearm.

Age aside, I don't believe it is illegal as long as the overall length is 26" as one can replace the stock of a shotgun with a pistol grip.  If the overall length is under 26 inches, then it is considered a "weapon made from a rifle" or a "weapon made from a shotgun" respectively under the NFA.

The 26" rule was the number that was arbitrarily determined to be a limit for concealability.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.