Stephen asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Do most people have some type of mental disorder?

Like ocd, anxiety, depression, so many different types. Do most people have at least one mental disorder?

Kelvin, I never said they were mental illnesses. 

Most people will experience major anxiety and depression at some point in their lives. Most people have at least one very flawed personality trait. It usually doesn't become a chronic issue or stop them from functioning in life.

OUI JE PENSE QUE C EST POSSIBLE

Ocd and aniexty is a mental illness...  

yes.Most of us know at least one person who has struggled with a bout of at least one diagnosable mental disorder at some point in their life. ...

I personally have anxiety and OCD. I was diagnosed via psychiatrist and GP. 

I think it’s lost more common than you think just not something people like to talk about 

I think it really all depends, in this day and age I think we see more representation of mental disorders or other words more people talking about them because people started to not look down on mentally ill/struggling people. People are no longer ashamed to open up about anxiety disorder or depression or OCD. Which is a good thing!  It's bringing awareness to those who need it. I think its pretty common to for someone to have one.

• kelvin

ocd and anxiety are not mental illnesses

I don't think "most" people have a type of mental disorder. It wouldn't really be a 'disorder' if most people had it. 

What most people have is PERIODIC issues with anxiety or depression. These are not considered mental disorders--they are ISSUES that can be resolved. A mental disorder is a medical condition.  Having a temporary or periodic problem is not the same as having an actual chemical imbalance, or genetic issue that causes a permanent condition. Yes, the line can be somewhat blurry here--but there are criteria that define each type of mental health disorder and the gradations of that disorder so that treatments can be defined and implemented. 

Everybody may have some sort of physical or mental disorder as no one is perfectly healthy physically or mentally. Apart from genetic factors, mental disorders may be due to a bad upbringing. If parents cannot teach their children how to live and not live, how to face the problems in life with a balanced mind, mental disorders are bound to appear in their children Children born in families addicted to drinks and drugs, where parents are cheating each other, and not leading a moral life/religious life are all potential candidates for mental disorders.