Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

How to fix a wonky cupboard door that won't close?

I have a cupboard door that won't close due to it being wonky on one side. I read online this is due to the hinges and that it was a simple fix by screwing one of the hinges slightly. I tried this a couple of times with no luck, then one of the screws got tight and now won't loosen. Is this common with cupboard doors or have I made things a lot worse? I'm not sure what to do next but it needs to be fixed since this is in a rented property. 

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The adjusting screw is NOT to be tightened.  Have a friend or relative do it.

• 2 months ago

Cupboard doors that don't close are usually warped. Steam and moisture in the room can do this. Sometimes adjusting the screws on the hinges helps, but it doesn't always. You may have to remove the hinges and reinstall them, or plane the area, or get new ones--and this isn't a job you want to tackle. 

To loosen the screw, spray it with a product called "Liquid Wrench" or with WD40. Then try loosening it gently again. If adjusting THAT hinge doesn't solve your problem, try the OTHER hinge. I'm serious. Sometimes it's the hinge you don't think it is. 

If none of this works, and you really need the door to close tightly, call your landlord and ask if there is someone who can show you what to do about it, or fix it. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is RENTAL. YOU DON'T OWN IT. NOT YOUR PROBLEM.   Tell the LL if he can come and fix it so you can use it.  He won't charge you for it as it is something he can do...with match sticks. & remount it.  They are handymen.  This is a fiddly job. Well within his skills.

• 2 months ago

You haven't a hope of fixing a problem until you know WHAT the problem is.  "Wonky" does not cut it.  If you cannot determine the cause, or post a picture which can be examined closely, then you do need to get help, from a friend or from a handyman.  If there is a chance that you are going to get charged for fixing it anyway, then best to hire a handyman yourself and just pay his fee, rather than get charged double or more by the landlord.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

why can't you give us a picture? if we could see what's gone wonky, maybe you'd get useful advice -- even correct advice.  best with what we know -- find local handyman and pay him to fix it.  -- granddad

• gerald
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The door is warped its a new door im afraid , 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If it is a Euro Hinge then it is adjustable. It is easy to strip out the threads so you need to be careful. Look on Youtube for video of how to adjust hinges.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Well, first determine if the problem is the door or the hinge. Or the cabinet itself.  If it is the hinge, you will have to figure out the spacing to set the hinge for it to operate properly.  Look at other hinges and see how they are set.  Most better hinges have adjustment capability built into them.  And you should have old screw holes to help figure it out.  It is an awkward position and so you are just guessing.  Take the door off and put the hinges on.  Then put the hinges on the cabinet.  Put the top hinge on the cabinet first so that the door will hang.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If it can be moved up and down, it is a hinge problem, if not, maybe some wood needs to be shaved off. Try gently levering the screw or bracket with a flat screwdriver, to loosen it. Another possibility is to loosen then pad up under the bracket of the other screw, to level off the door.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.