Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My son has diabetes and still eats huge amount of chocolate. How can I convince him to stop?

As a child, he used to wait for us all to sleep so he'd eat lots of chocolate since we didn't allow him. Now he's 20, lives alone and still eats lots of chocolates. I went to his apartment and he has no real food, except chocolate and candies everywhere. Last week, we found out he has diabetes and asked him to stop but he says he doesn't really care and continues eating chocolate. He can eat 10 bars of chocolate at once.

My son always has a headache and looks like a zombie and knows he shouldn't eat chocolate but doesn't care at all.

How can I convince him?

Show him pictures of non- compliant diabetics with open wounds or amputations.

I have a daughter who is addicted to food and is just asking for more health problems. Don't listen to the person who tells you this is a product of their upbringing. Adults are going to do what adults want to do. My daughter did not grow up eating non-stop nor did she see me doing this. That is the hard part..we care what happens to our children, no matter what age they are, but there comes a time when all you can do is hope and pray.

Too late he's a product of his upbringing and if you were unable to do it correctly the first time around, you simply have no chance now.

You can help him by giving the knowledge about the side effects of overeating of sugar. That might be in the form of your personal experience or any research. The loneliness often becomes the trigger of such addiction, which can be treated by giving him the proper time he needs to fill his mind with happiness.

not much you can do about it, you cant control what he eats

You can't fix stupidity and natural selection solves it z

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

show him pictures of diabetics with amputated legs, arms etc.  this is what could happen to him.  Prepare yourself and you can tell him you want to set everything up for his funeral because he will die soon.  My husband died of complications from Diabetes.  If he isn't educated on the problem he may think it is not a dangerous disease and he is not at risk of loosing his life.  My husband was diagnosed in 2003 and died in 2005

🥴😊

Try sugar free alternative snacks. I think there are some with chocolate. Like... wafers and shortbread cookies.

I suppose you could show him the risks of uncontrolled diabetes.  The amputations, the blindness, the smell of sores that will not heal.

The real thing, not just pictures .

Other than that, he is an adult and if you could not stop him as a youngster, it is not going to happen now.   Not until he decides.