what vegan foods did you try when you first went vegan ?

Smoothies - especially fruit smoothies.

Tofu. and I hated it at first! But now its a staple because I actually learnt how to cook it properly!

• I live in France, vegans when caught are beaten to a pulp and roasted over a slow fire, Joan of Arc was a vegan as were the Cathars.

I grew up eating "vegan" foods, but was never "vegan".

I never went vegan. I'm not even a vegetarian.

I grew up eating "vegan" foods, but was never "vegan". My mom made many meatless meal as we were growing up. There were mixed veggies, vegetables soups and stews, toasted veggies, salads, pastas and chili dishes. Tons of ethnic dishes that were meatless and without animal by products, mainly, because that was how the dishes had been made long before my mom made them.

Made many pb&j lunches and dinners, because that was what I wanted. Same for raw veggies and dips, hummus. All without buying products that were labeled vegan. 

So, stop thinking so hard. If going vegan/vegetarian is for you, start by just reducing the amount of meat you eat. Starting with processed meats (lunch meats, hot dogs, sausage). Later reduce the animal by products. But only do this after researching and understanding nutrition. No one diet is "The One" and only for everyone.  The most important thing is, you don't need explain what how you eat. You don't need permission from others, or have to wear a stamp on your forehead, to heard you are now and forever more eating a particular way. 

I am trying to eat more plant based and vegan options this year, and so far I have tried a tofu dip that is friggin' awesome, a plant based 'burger' which I really like, plant based mandarin chicken which is basically 'chicken' nuggets with mandarin orange sauce, which is really good as well, vegan gummy bears that were 'interesting' and vegan fruit and oat bars that were absolutely horrible. Keep in mind I eat a large variety of fresh fruit and veg, so none of that is a problem, but I really hate to cook so I have been trying a lot of processed plant based foods to see what is good. So far things have been a lot better than I thought they would be, but where I live I am very limited on brand variety, as plant based options are not really a 'thing' here yet. 

...it's not that you only eat meat all the time - even fries are vegan. 

• kswck2

I tried quinoa-thought it tasted like tapioca pudding, without the pudding part. Tried Kale-thought it was nasty-should be for decoration Only. 

Do you mean when I first *became* vegan?

None.  I ate plenty of vegan dishes/meals before I stopped eating animal products entirely. 

I find it hard to believe anyone would go from eating meat/dairy three times a day to eating none.