Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

My professor asked the class, “My wife brought my coffee lukewarm, why shouldn’t I beat my wife?” I answered that it doesnt promote ?

her wellbeing. My professor responded with "of course it does, she will learn not to bring coffee lukewarm and wont have to get beat again". I then replied that suffering is bad and we should avoid suffering. And my professor shot back that suffering isnt always bad look at working out, lifting weights or just sports in general. I kind of got stumped, what would your answer be to this philosophical conundrum? 

How would you approach this question and ground why we ought to do something involving ethics?

• Git

Your answer that it does not promote her well being is correct. But you failed to challenge your professor’s rebuttal. 

Your professor’s argument that she learns not to bring lukewarm coffee is not to her well being but to the professor’s gain - having his coffee served hot, which is not the same as her well being. Even if she learns not to bring lukewarm coffee, it is out of fear from being beaten.

As for sport, the comparison is wrong. When you exercise, the sufferings you endured is compensated by a gain in your health - which is to your well being. Also, studies have shown that regular physical activity can increase the body dopamine and serotonin levels, making it a great option to boost your happy hormones.

Suffering from being beat isn't the same a suffering from sports.

• j153e

Lukewarm coffee builds character.

Lukewarm for you, hot for a penguin or an Inuit.

Your wife is superior to you; accept what your "better half" gives you.

Learn to negotiate:  you do the dishes, she temp-checks the coffee.

Teach!  Take her to a coffee shop and order her an example cuppa.

Be ethically sensitive:  buy her a coffee maker for her birthday (and a vacuum cleaner for Christmas).

Live by Kant's Categorical Imperative.

• garry

rather dumb question , isnt it , why beat her in the first place !!!!

The Golden Rule always applies when talking on ethics zcj

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Ten House Republicans finally projected a voting form to reprimand President Donald ... As House people cast their choices on the articles of reprobation, Rep. ... "There is no uncertainty to the furthest extent that I can say that the President of the United States broke ...

It is her body, and not his. He'd be violating her human dignity. She has the right to her choice (freedom of choice) and to other liberties too. Also that is a boundary he'd be violating as his body ends with himself, her body starts and is a separate person from him. 

If you beat your wife over anything to do with coffee you have, or maybe will have, bigger problems than lukewarm coffee.

You should have said she'd call the cops and thrown your *** in jail for assault. 

• susan

My personal life motto is "Be constructive, not destructive." My answer would be because beating your wife is destructive behavior.