Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

What is wrong with my washing machine?

My washing machine is dripping water on the inside. I finished a load of laundry and noticed it kept dripping after that when it was off. What is wrong? Is it something simple I can fix myself? Thank you for your help.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I hope your washer is not on recall due to overloading otherwise you notice codes on display

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Likely leaking from a bad solenoid valve or inlet hose.  Call a technician.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Likely leaking from a bad solenoid valve or inlet hose.  Call a technician.

• 2 months ago

logic -- if it continues to drip even after it has been off for several hours, the leak has to be somewhere between the water inlets and the shutoff valves [there likely are two of these -- one for the hot and one for the cold].  Next test is to turn off the hot water at the valve on/in the wall and see if it still leaks -- if yes, the problem is in the cold water supply side, if no, the problem is in the hot water supply side.  This tells you where to look ...

Then you look for evidence of the leak ... dry piping is not leaking.  But all the piping might be dry in there because the leak may have sprayed water .. so if there is a lot of damp, then you have to try harder to find the problem.

Try harder -- dry off everything inside -- use a rag, then hand held hair dryer.  When it is all dry, wrap suspect areas with paper towel [tape it on], upright the machine, reconnect, and turn water back on -- wait a few minutes, then turn water off, disconnect and look to see which pieces of paper towel are wet -- do this multiple times, shortening the wait time, until there is only one area that has wet paper towel -- now you know where the leak is.  [if the first time doesn't get any wet paper towel -- try again, making the wait time longer].

{You may find it necessary to partly fill the tub to get it to leak ... }

After you've found where the leak is, you'll know what to do ... tighten hose clamp or replace seal, or [hope not] replace valve that will not close properly.

{If it doesn't keep leaking, the leak is on or after the inlet valves ...}

YES, this is a slow process ... and it's worth doing if you are trying to avoid the 75 to 100 dollar charge a repairman wants just to find out what is wrong ...

-- grampa

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you can fix it yourself - you have our permission to proceed.  If you can't figure out what's wrong - chances are you can't fix it yourself.  In that case, you can call a repairman or wear dirty clothes.  Really quite simple.

• Barry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It's certainly worth investigating. Drag the machine out and turn the power off. Check for damp where the cold water supply hose connects. Lay the machine down on it's side on an old blanket or towel making sure you don't strain the hoses. . You may need to remove a panel to view the parts. Look for a split hose or a leaky seal on the discharge pump shaft. Look at the tub gasket where the heater is fitted. A tell tale is often crystalline deposits if you can't see the leak. But as it has been dripping it should be damp somewhere.

• Audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe you need a new shut off valve on the back of the washer where the water comes in. If you're handy at all, you should be able to change it yourself, but BE SURE the water is shut off before you try!

• Threaten her with a divorce. This happened to my dishwasher a while back.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.