Movies Section: What is your favorite movie directed by Rob Reiner?

I asked this question before but it got deleted. I'll asked this question again.

IMO: The Princess Bride (1987). 

Honorable Mentions:

Misery (1990)

Stand by Me (1986)

A Few Good Men (1992)

When Harry Met Sally... (1989)

The American President (1995)

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

The Sure Thing (1985)

LBJ (2016)

Ghosts of Mississippi (1996)

Flipped (2010)

The Bucket List (2007)

IMO: A Few Good Men (1992)

HM: Misery (1990), The Princess Bride (1987), Alex & Emma (2003), Rumor Has It... (2005), The Story of Us (1999), When Harry Met Sally... (1989), and Stand by Me (1986).

• Jamie

Stand By Me , it is brilliant .

• Snid

Turns out I like almost all of his movies.  From the list I'll go with Ghosts of Mississippi.

• ?

When Harry Met Sally...

When you ask "what is your favourite" it's considered a chat violation and people report it. I only found out because it kept happening to me.

A Few Good Men and then The Princess Bride.

I say Stand By Me I grew up watching that movie.

I would say 

1) Ghosts of Mississippi. 😍

2) The bucket list. 

When Harry met Sally was also ok. 

The princess bride was ok and good for kids. 

• ?

Agreed. The Princess Bride is his best work.

Many good all around movies on that list but my favorite will always be "This is Spinal Tap."

The rest were all well-constructed, quality films but in my mind "This is Spinal Tap" was clearly the most personal to Reiner. Framed as a fictional "documentary" by a fictional director (played by Reiner himself), the film is actually a love story between Reiner and the Rock & Roll culture that played such an important role in his generation's lives.

Reiner was approaching his 40s in 1984 and the music industry was rapidly shifting thanks to new technologies and the advent of music videos.  Sounds were more electronic and acts were more centered around pretty faces, flashy cinematography and choreographed dances.

One one level, the mock documentary serves as an ode to an era of rock that was in decline, an era built on hard rocking bands playing in stadiums instead of on the small screen.  That was the culture that so-heavily influenced Reiner and his generation in their teens.

On another level, the presentation as a satire and comedy is Reiner's way of poking good-natured fun at the things we considered so "meaningful" in our youth but then seem so silly as we reach middle age. Still, as silly as it all might seem now, the care with which "Tap" was made clearly shows he would not trade those years of his youth for anything in the world.

Stand by me

Misery

The princess bride

This is spinal tap

In that order.