What is your opinion on 2020 being the worst year commercially for movies since 1966?

According to box office mojo the highest grossing movie of 2020 was The Eight Hundred which grossed 489 million dollars. That's the lowest amount of money the highest grossing movie of the year has ever made since 1966's Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf which, adjusted for inflation, grossed around 260 million dollars.

The "worst" remains to be seen. "news of the World" came out. "tenet" , "Half Brothers", and "WW:84" were Good. Even  "playing with Fire"

We Paid to see "Back to the Future" in a theater. "Star Wars" and "Jurassic Park " played, too. 

1966 wasn't so bad. "Fantastic Voyage", "The Sand Pebbles", "TGTBATU", "El Dorado", "The Professionals". "The Blue Max".  and "Fahrenheit 451".

Since that self centered immature bruce willis was tossed out of a rite aid for not wearing a mask i will not watch/ pay for  his new movie and boycott die hard batteries who he represents not one red cent to that sob .

• Kyle

even when theaters open fully back up after most everyone is vaccinated, i wouldn't be surprised if it went back to even 2018 numbers when avengers end game was released.  as streaming becomes more popular, you may see movies release in theaters and on demand via purchasing along with or separate from streaming as a one time purchase option.  kind of like mulan or news of the world.  

• John

It's bad but movie watching is moving increasingly to online download rather than cinema 

Its really sad, especially as I was just getting into new movies and going to the cinema regularly since 2019. Before that I hadn't been since 2009. Saw alice in wonderland in 3D. Swore after that I'd never go again after the place was so crowded some people had to sit on the floor. Everyone was pushing and shuving and eating smelly foods, it just wasnt a nice experience. But that was a knee jerk reaction by giving up going altogether. 

Corona

Also, the highest grossing movie of the year does not mean anything at all. What counts is how much the film industry earned overall.

• ?

Terrible, but predictable. There was no way 2020 wasn't going to be a terrible year for the box office with the pandemic going on.

What is my opinion on it? Well it sucks because the entertainment industry losing a massive influx of money means 100s of theaters have had to shut down, many projects were delayed or canceled outright and it makes me worried that streaming will get even more popular vs going to theaters. I prefer theaters so I'm hoping the industry isn't completely dismantled in favor of just watching at home. 

Coming to America 2 came out this year though. 

makes me wonder what the heck happened in 1966 that could rival 98% of movie theaters shut down for 8 months...