Steve asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Can someone please change my way of thinking regarding the covid 19 vaccine ?

I'm not too happy on having a vaccine for a virus I only know exists by the media's word, because I still don't know anyone who has had the virus.

I'm also concerned about the side effects of this ' Mickey Mouse' vaccine that was rushed up five times quicker than a normal vaccine.

Then come work in the healthcare facility I am employed at, while wearing full PPE, caring for covid patients

You first need to dismiss the Trump advice that vaccines may be unhealthy. Pharmaceutical companies spend hundred of millions of dollar creating a safe vaccine. The coronavirus family that produces COVID-19 virus contain about 4 viruses that can produce the  common cold. There are more than 200 viruses that can cause the common cold. Allow me to mention a personal comment: I have received the annual flu shot every year since 1976, and I have never had the flu. I catch the common cold about every 10 years. Of course, a new virus unknown to the world can strike people differently and make some reject the new vaccine to remain healthy. If I were you, I would gamble  the new COVID-19 flu shot  is a better choice or gamble than not accepting the new vaccine. The CDC reports 90,000 people will die of the coronavirus in the next 3 months. I am a military veteran, and I await the Houston VA to announce the COVID-19 vaccine is ready for veterans. Hang-in-there and remain tuft and you will make through the pandemic.

The virus is real. I've had it and my mother died from it. As an asthmatic, I monitor my oxygen levels closely and I can say when I had Covid my oxygen acted in unusual ways that I've never seen before. For example, usually if my oxygen drops below 90 I start wheezing and coughing but with Covid it dropped as low as 80 and I felt fine. 

As far as the vaccine, it doesn't take long to create a vaccine. Pfizer's vaccine took about a day. Some people have created primitive vaccines in a matter of hours. What takes a long time is the testing. A lot of the "testing" is procedural BS. ie the phase I tests are in so let's spend two years looking at them and then another two years to prepare for for phase II. If you cut out the BS it really doesn't take that long. Pfizer's vaccine went through as rigorous testing as any vaccine and actually had double the number of candidates. 

If the mRNA technology scares you then you can always take Johnson and Johnson's or astrazenica''s which use older technologies that are well established. 

• Tavy

Ah Steve another one reading social media instead of the science.

Covid has been around for decades, Scientists developed a vaccine years ago, they just had to tweak it for the 19 version. Millions have had this Micky mouse vaccine including the Pope and our Queen and Prince Philip. Now the later 3 must be very stupid to have a Micky mouse vaccine don't  you think? Or is it just Steve and his mates who don't believe it.

Over a Thousand have died here in the U.K. and millions have had it, some with very long term problems.

Think again.

U.K.

Lockdown or vaccine. Your choice.  If you want the lockdown to end then get your vaccine. If you don’t want the lockdown to end then don’t get a vaccine. 

Early stats seems to say that the vaccine is making a difference. The 7 day positivity rate has gone down here. 

• kelvin

no one says you have to get it

OK. It isn't just the media's word. There are thousands of people in hospitals right now, struggling for their lives against covid. That's real, you can check that.

Go to a hospital, and ask the staff whether covid is real. Maybe you can talk to a covid patient. Wear a mask.

Personally, I would find it harder to believe that the entire world is pretending that there is a highly infectious virus sweeping over them, just for fun.

The two main vaccines that are being rolled out are the Pfizer vaccine (in America) and the Astro-Zeneca vaccine (in the UK and Australia). These vaccines went through proper stage-3 trials. Their development was accelerated by vast amounts of money, because the governments of the world do not want to be economically crippled by covid any longer than they have to. However, the testing phase, the stage 3 trials, was not rushed, and went ahead as normal. These vaccines have been tested on a great number of people, and demonstrated to be safe, as safe as a flu shot. There is nothing Mickey-Mouse about it.

You may doubt a lot of things when it comes to your government, and I get that, but don't doubt the fact that eveyone, absolutely everyone, wants this virus gone, and everyone is willing to do what it takes to put an end to it, including our governments and their industrialist overlords.

I'll be getting vaccinated as soon as it is possible.

• Murzy

The effects of the virus can be horrible and lead to death or lasting effects. I know many that have died. Be glad you don't know any one who you love that has caught it.

You don't say where in the world you are, so things may be different to here in the UK.

We have the possibility of two vaccines - may be a third soon as another company has made one.  The companies have been working on these vaccines for years and they have been tested for safety.  But, I hear you say, covid has only been around for a few months.  Yes, of course, but the basic vaccine has been tried and tested and adaptations have been done for this specific virus.

Do you honestly think that the flu vaccine which many OAPs and vulnerable people have annually is the same every year?

As for side effects - if there were to be major side effects, the majority would happen within a few minutes of having the first dose.  Here, there is a 15 minute wait after the injection to make sure that the recipient feels well.  If not, then where better to be than amongst trained doctors and nurses who can deal with any problems immediately.  Yes of course, there will always be a few people who do have a reaction - but then again, some people are allergic to peanuts - but that doesn't make peanuts a bad thing to eat for the majority of people.

If you don't know anyone who has had the virus, then you are lucky.

If you don't want it, then don't have it.  No one will force you to, but don't whine if it is a condition of doing certain activities or travelling.