Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

Why am I always one penny away from being homeless?

Is it because I don't know how to cook? If I grocery shopped would I maybe not be in this situation, I've been getting a lot of take out food because of covid 

Maxi oh I pay rent all right every month

Because you are spending all your money on the internet to be on YA!

• John

Go to the grocery store and buy some cans of Chef Boyardee.  They are less than $1.50 each.  Many have pop-top lids, so you don't even need a can opener.  Put the contents of 1 can in a bowl, and microwave it for 1 minute.  Stir, and then microwave another minute.  Dinner is served. Savings compared to a fast food meal is about $8.50.

Look up Dave Ramsey on google or YouTube.  No affiliation.

Your cardboard sign is not eligible because it is written in pencil. Try making large letters and filling them in with black ink. HOMELESS NEED HELP GOD BLESS 

Because you have put zero thought into supporting yourself.  Spend 2/3 of your income on rent, food, expenses and SAVE 1/3, putting that in a secure investment, at least for now.  If you can't live on 2/3 of your net income, then cut your expenses.

You are on the internet,  how can you not just do a search on how to prepare food?

• n2mama

I have a family of four (two adults and two teens), and my grocery bill is one of the biggest expenses I pay. I cook probably 85% of our meals at home, and while my weekly grocery bill can feel a little high, if I compared it to what it would cost to do takeout every day for my family, I’m definitely saving a bunch of money by cooking at home. That’s especially true if we were bringing in the same type of food that I am cooking. Even fast food for my family of four can be $25-30 per meal. So if we ate fast food every night for a week (which I wouldn’t do anyway), that’s $200 just for dinners. Grocery shopping I can get groceries for the entire week for all three meals for about that. Plus it’s way healthier for us. 

Cooking really isn’t that hard once you get the basics figured out. Yes, getting a kitchen stocked both from an ingredient and an equipment standpoint can cost a bit, but to get going you need a pot and a pan, a few basic seasonings and some staple ingredients. Start with easy things, like pasta, tacos, eggs and work your way up from there. Cooking for yourself will save you money and give you better control over what goes into your food and your body.

• y

You have access online where there are thousands of recipes. Plan out at least 5 days of meals, then go grocery shopping. At first, as you build up the staples, it won't seem like it is saving you money but in a month or so. You'll start to see some savings. But if you are that close already, you may want to look at other areas where you could potentially save.

No I don't think it's because you get take out instead of cook.

I'd be more inclined to say you overspend in all aspects of your life, not just eating. 

• Maxi

You are spending more money than you earn is normally the reason..... and 'becoming homeless' generally means because  you are not paying your rent