Anonymous

Why do white people say "our thoughts are with you" when someone has passed away?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you can think of something better, please share. It is always difficult to think of the right words, and I do not think being white has anything to do with it. 

• 1 month ago

I guess the words just slide off the tongue nicely.

• 1 month ago

I assume some do to show they are thinking of you while you grieve your loss.

• 1 month ago

To show compassion.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Most mammals have light skin that is covered by fur, and biologists believe that early human ancestors started out this way also. Dark skin probably evolved after humans lost their body fur, because the naked skin was vulnerable to the strong UV radiation as explained in the Out of Africa hypothesis.

• Craig
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It's an expression of sympathy that has arisen in many white American cultures (not all of them).  It expresses sentiment in a way similar to Hallmark greeting cards that simply say "Thinking of you".  Oddly, it avoids specifying what thoughts we're having, and it avoids any emotional, spiritual, or religious commitments or reassurances.  

So it's sort of an indication of sympathy without any strings attached for either the offeror or the recipient.  That makes it easy to say, and appropriate in almost any situation.  Since European-Americans comprise many ethnicities and religions, it's handy to have an expression that doesn't force any assumptions upon the recipient.  Maybe that's why it is popular.For cultures with strong, homogenously traditional approaches to bereavement, this sort of non-statement isn't appealing.  That's even the case with certain white cultures.

• 1 month ago

To let you know someone cares about the pain you feel.

To be honest, it's hard to find something adequate *to* say..because if you loved the person that passed away, there are no words.

• Mack
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The color of my skin has nothing to do with the fact that there are no deities to pray to....r

• 1 month ago

Because some of those white people aren't religious and it means no more and no less than others who say they're praying for you... because in both cases you are in their thoughts, but that's about it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.