Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Is it sanitary and clean to just sleep with a bottom sheet and a duvet/doona/quilt/blanket? No top sheet?

What’s cleaner??

Top sheet or no?

Either a quilt/doona etc.

Realise that different countries say diff. Things//

I'm in UK and I've not used a top sheet since being a child, when we had sheets and blankets.

Duvets then came into fashion and duvets have a removable cover which you can change with the rest of your bedding. So no need for s top sheet any more

• denise

Its your bed, but its more practical to have a top sheet, as its easier to launder the sheets than to launder the duvet / quilt, they may need to be cleaned professionally.

It's true many people saying you need a top sheet to stop the duvet making contact with your skin. Did you know you lose skin/cells, especially while sleeping, rolling and turning in bed? I once had a bed with a wooden base, that had a wooden 'shelf' between the mattress and side of the bed. This I wasn't aware of . . .  Until I moved and dismantled the bed. There was this massive pile of white 'coarse powder' on the 'shelf'. That was a good dose of my skin cells - and it was VILE. I also agree with other posters saying if you wash your duvet as often as the bottom sheet is ok. Your duvet (mostly) is expensive and isn't designed to be washed 'on a regular basis' (hence the duvet cover) The agitation of the washing machine actually thins the fabric of the duvet to the point that tears appear after a while - and so you have to replace it . . .  Sheets/duvet covers are cheaper and made more sturdily to withstand regular washing.

One is just as sanitary as the other, if they are both washed at the same intervals. That's why duvets have covers, so you can wash the cover as often as you'd wash a top sheet. The duvet itself doesn't need laundering more than once or twice a year, the same as you'd do if you use blankets or a comforter and a top sheet

It depends on how often you wash the duvet cover or the blanket.

But how clean does it have to be?  The germs on it are your own.  Of course there are the dust mites; if they make you sneeze anyway.  But most of them are in the pillow and mattress.

If you don't mind washing your duvet regularly with your other bed linen, the go for it.  Personally, I'd sleep with a top sheet to cut down the need to wash the duvet.

Whatever you have on top needs to be protected from direct contact with your skin just as much as the bottom sheet does.

A duvet/dooner may have its own cover, but it's twice the area and weight of a single sheet. If you use a sheet, the duvet might not need to be washed for months, but if you don't use a sheet, you'll have to wash the duvet cover every week or so.

• ?

i dont bother with sheets and i dont have a problem

It depends on how often you wash the duvet.  Generally, it is much more sanitary with a top sheet.  Sheets can be changed weekly (or, as necessary), while blankets are usually not changed nearly as often.

The purpose of the top sheet is to keep your top bed covering clean enough that you don't have to wash it or have it cleaned often. It's a lot easier and cheaper to wash a top sheet than it is to have something like a comforter dry cleaned.