Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can I get out of a lease early if my new neighbors constantly keep up noise?

The couple that moved in on the other side of the duplex about a month ago have some serious relationship problems. Neither works and all day they long they are screaming at each other, throwing stuff at each other, and banging against the walls. I don't care if they kill each other because it's their relationship and I don't get involved in other folks problems BUT they are disturbing my family with their constant drama. The landlord says to just try to ignore it and I never had a problem with him in the past 3 years that I've lived hear but the neighbors are impossible to ignore. Right now the woman is screaming while my 2 year old is trying to nap. I can't live like this! 

If you have notified the landlord of the problem, in writing, and he has not dealt with it, then write him again, certified mail, asking for a refund of all the rent you have paid since the noise began, framing it as "partial damages for breach of contract". The landlord owes you an affirmative duty of "quiet enjoyment" of your home in exchange for the rent and you're not getting what you're paying for.

Maybe the dollar signs will get his attention and maybe one of you will be given notice of termination.

• garry

nope , have you thought of getting the police to talk too them !!!!

Call the police with a noise complaint.  You can do that once a day for as long as it takes. 

• Maxi

Your contract is between you and the landlord, it is not the landlords issue that the new people make noise, so you have no legal right to breach your contract.... your landlord might allow you to terminte your contract early however it will cost you to do so, so you need to ask the cost or read your contract and see if it states the cost of doing so in there

You go and talk to them nicely.  Then you let the LL that if it continues, you will terminate your lease due to not being allowed quiet enjoyment.  Document all of this.

Write your ll a letter telling him that if he doesn't threaten to evict them over their noise, you will have to do something yourself about it, because you cannot go on with your 2 year old crying for hours, when they have their hours long fights. Also, report them to the police.  You can't get out of your lease just because of the noise.  You need to give him time to correct the problem.  Continue to report them and keep a record of all of the episodes.  It necessary, you will need that record in court.

• Judy

No.  You can call the police.

Noise complaints are something that are generally dealt with by talking to the property owner. If that doesn't work out, it's time to get the municipality involved. 

You can ask your landlord.

If they say "yes", get it in writing.

Call the police.

There are noise ordinances and it could be domestic violence.