Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Is it likely for cats to die under anesthesia for neutering without bloodwork done? ?

Im eventually going to be forced into having my cat neutered even though i dont want it done due to living with family and i have zero choice in the matter and they wont spend the extra money for bloodwork beforehand even though i feel like he needs it done first

Ive never been able to take him to the vet so i have no idea if hes actually healthy or not atleast internally, he looks normal on the outside but thats as far as i can tell myself

I feel i should add the place i have to go to is a low cost one that takes a huge amount of animals at once so idk how good their examination process is. They dont even do a blood test which is recommended for all animals beforehand. Also i appreciate the answers so far

My cat is 3 years old currently, hes a bit stranger than normal cats though and due to how his mom was when she was pregnant with him it raises concern for me as she was starving and a stray when i took her in (didnt even know she was pregnant with him till she started getting healthier). My concern is she couldve passed something down to him or her condition couldve caused issues in him i cant see 

Also thanks to everyone else who answered as well

i have not heard of cats needing bloodwork-is he an older cat? Your family is right, desexing is a necessary thing and as well as stopping unwanted  litters of kittens it can stop your cat getting certain cancers and diseases.

Blood test may be recommended, but it not required. A cat absolutely needs to get fixed and you don't need to exam them all that much. I took all of my animals to a low cost clinic and everything was just fine. All of my fosters go through a low cost clinic and everything was just fine. The rescue I worked with, all animals went through a low cost clinic and it was just fine. The vast majority of them did not need a blood test for getting fixed. For males, its a very simple procedure. Your cat does not need a blood test and will be just fine. 

Try googing Animal Clinic in your area & call them. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Any responsible vet will assure the cat is healthy enough for what is a fairly simple operation in males.  I have had so many cats spayed or neutered that my vet gives me a 20% discount, and I supposedly am tied with our county's largest animal rescue organization for giving the vet business.

Very unlikely. I wouldn't worry about it. 

Its good he's getting neutered. Intact males will usually spray everywhere and are more likely to escape and if they do they can get other cats pregnant. 

There is always a chance an animal will die while under, but that is a very slim chance. I have had all my pets spayed and neutered with no ill effects at all. 

There is a certain amount of risk, but usually most cats don't have problems. There is a possibility the cat Might be allergic to the anesthetic. You will have to sign a release 

The vet won't do it unless he/she's happy the cat is fit for the operation, so don't worry.  And for a boy it's a very quick and easy process.

Unless the cat has an underlying condition, a young, healthy cat will be fine 

And he does need to be neutered.   Intact cats spray, and constantly try to escape.   All pet cats should be spayed and neutered to prevent overpopulation