Why are apples "mealey"? Did they accidentally freeze in cold storage? Or like my friend thinks, did they get too ripe?

• denise

They've probably overripened.

Apples are mealy when they're old and dry out.

Some apples like red and golden delicious tend to be mealy, especially if they sit around for a while.  

I live in on of the big apple growing areas of the US, in fact Martinellis headquarters are not far from where I live and I personally know members of the family.

Many apples are not mealy.  In our area there are almost uncounted varieties of applies available.  At the mainstream markets you'll see a few varieties, at markets like Whole Foods you'll see more and smaller health food markets are good places to find obscure varieties in season.

Trader Joes has brought in some special varieties in the last few years, Honeycrisp is excellent for eating out of hand.

I tend to avoid the red and golden delicious unless I buy them from one of the many farms in my area during apple season.  The ones at the big markets, to me, aren't worth eating.

I picked up a couple of Lady apples at Whole Foods the other night.  $3/lb.   They were good though...

• kswck2

That is just the texture of apples. If Very mealy, they could have frozen and thawed during shipment. 

Either case will do it.  The apples from my tree start to get mealy this time of year (harvested in October) which means guaranteed apple pie for dessert.

Neither. Some apples like Red Delicious are naturally crisp and sweet. Others such as Granny Smith are less crisp, but absorb flavors when cooked. Your choice depends on whether you are making a Waldorf salad or an apple pie.