Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Should I have euthanized my pup right in the beginning when she developed health problems instead of so much suffering?

My pup got injured badly in the garden and I had to hospitalize her for a week. She came back very weak after that, eating very little and about 10 days later I had to hospitalize her again due to debilitation. Five days later she died.She was almost 3 months old when she died today.The hospital staff told me she was crying a lot in her last hours.

should I have had her euthanized at an earlier stage of her illness instead of putting her through so much suffering?

There was one point where she wanted to eat some chicken but the doctor had forbidden it so I didn’t let her have it. What was the point of dragging her through days of injections, force feeding, hospital stay, not letting her eat what she wanted when eventually it was of no use and she died?

• TK

It was the veterinarian's responsibility to decide it was time to euthanize the puppy.  Why did the hospital staff tell you that she was suffering when she was in their care?  Trying to deflect their failing?  Ask them why they allowed her to suffer for so many hours.  When the puppy was there, she was their responsibility.  

What was the Vets diagnosis?  Not knowing the diagnosis makes it hard for us to guess what should or shouldn't have happened.  Vets are money hungry & he/she may have been stringing you along to get more money from you.  If you'd known more about what her problem was, you could have made a decision earlier.  Did you research the diagnosis?  Did the Vet have high hopes for her or was he/she just treating the symptoms?

If I knew what was coming I would have had her euthanized.  Poor little baby.

Hindsight is always 20/20- 

No one EVER takes their pet **willingly** to the vet to be euthanized.

You take your beloved pets to the vet ,  of course , in the HOPE to heal and fix them.....as loving owners, who want the best for the pet. 

But just like life, and regular people...... there are things that can be fixed and corrected by doctors or cured....and there are things that just can't be . 

Doctors can try medicine, and chemo all sorts of things for cancer,   but in the end, the cancer usually wins anyway. 

You did the RIGHT thing......you took your pet to the vet, in the hope to do what's best for it........ but in the end, the injuries or problems were not surmountable.  

That is not your fault......and while it always sucks to lose a beloved pet,  without exception, -----you couldn't have known  which direction the treatment was going to go, at that time. 

Obviously you HOPED the vet could save your pet.........or you wouldn't have taken him there. 

You did the right thing........but sometimes the pets die anyway, or are suffering so greatly, that the kinder thing is to put them down. 

Always a crappy choice.......but you have to do what's right for the pet. 

I had a beloved cat,  I cherished, and  he got sick, and I spent $800  in vet bills trying to cure him......but his liver was failing, and there just wasn't much to do about it. 

I made him as comfy as possible, and gave him all the recommended food and medicine.......but he stopped eating, and died anyway. 

Sometimes it's just beyond our powers to change the course of things, as badly as we want  to. 

In that we have ZERO details on what originally happened to the dog, nor on the vet's prognosis; we cannot say.  I am sorry for the situation you found yourself in.  You gave the dog the best chance you could - if you were given hope she could recover.

• Jojo

Life can be cruel  at times and you did what what you thought was best at the time and gave the pup a chance. No-one can see into the future and what it might bring.

What's done is done and its no good dwelling on it and making yourself doubt what you did.

Where there is life, there is always hope, and in my opinion most dog owners would have done the same as you. 

you have to try and save their life, unfortunately it was not to be.

OMG I would die! I have no answer, but I am so sorry this happened to you.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but all we can do is our best, at the time and hopefully with good professional advice.  So sorry she had to die.

• Matt85

I agree with mark, you did the best you could for her.

You are saying this all after the fact. At the time, you were trying to save her life. You didn't know she was going to die in 5 days. You did the right thing.