Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

Should I open up my laptop and install a new SSD myself?

I looked up multiple videos on people installing SSD on the same model as me. It looks simple and I think it's worth giving it a go. The only problem is that I don't know what SSD to buy and what size it is? It's an Asus GL553VD laptop if anyone is curious. 

I opened my laptop up safely and I can confirm that the SSD currently in there is a sandisk z400s m.2 2280 128gb. It looks like there is only one place for the SSD so how so I clone my current SSD and put it on the new one?

Cloning is pretty straight forward.  Buy a new laptop SSD and place it in an external enclosure.  Connect the new enclosure to your laptop via USB cable (preferably use a USB 3.0 port if your laptop has one).  Use a good cloning software.  I suggest Acronis True Image (it's not free but it does have a free trial period).  Run the cloning software on your laptop.  Once you are finished cloning, swap the SSD's.  Also, make sure your current BIOS supports the size of your new SSD.  

You've got an interesting problem.  For your laptop, there are conflicting specifications, as if there was more than one model released under the same model number with different specifications.  So I don't know what to recommend for an SSD.  A direct replacement would be m.2 SATA format, which would make zero sense...  

But first things first.  Why would you want to replace your SSD?  128GB should be more than enough to store Windows and maybe one or two games on it.  There really shouldn't be anything else on your boot drive.  If you are storing everything on drive C, then you don't need to buy a new SSD...you simply need to do some file maintenance.  Start storing most of your stuff on the other drive...the 2.5" drive.

Most of the major brands (the better brands) of SSDs come with cloning software (or a software key) so you can download cloning software and clone your drive to a new one.  HOWEVER, you DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT.

Your SSD that you are talking about, 128GB Sandisk Z400S, should contain just Windows and not much else.  If you "clone" that, then you are taking all the junk files and junk registry settings to the new SSD,  which will greatly decrease the performance of your computer.  Your Windows 10 COA should be stored in the BIOS for that computer.  So a better plan is to make a bootable USB thumb drive and boot that to install Windows 10 on the new SSD.

But I don't understand why you would want to replace the original SSD.  That should be perfect for your computer, for as long as you own the computer.

• ?

Get an external drive case. I use a Wavlink docking station for bare drives (HD and SSD)  then cloning software to clone your old drive to your new ssd and than install your new SSD. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wavlink-External-Docking-St...

thats a twin disk system where the 1st is the M.2 SSD and the 2nd is a standard Sata drive. The idea being the M.2 has a small 128 GB SSD and the normal sata has a 1TB or 2TB drive in it. It can also be operated with just the Sata disk if the M.2 slot is empty. The usual problem with these is that people dont know how to use the space on the 2nd drive and end up filling up the small M.2 slot SSD with the OS and their APPS without realising there is a 1TB 2nd sata disk sitting there almost empty. Its easy to access the M.2 and sata slots as they are all under one cover. Its uneconomical to replace the 1TB unless you have filled it right up, so all you can do is replace the SSD. You can fit a 512GB SSD but there are two ways of doing that. 1) get some imaging software and if there is enough space on the 1TB sata disk then image all drives on the SSD small drive (ie the whole disk which will be at least 2 drives(recovery/backup and the OS) NOT  the 1TB and place the image into a folder on the 1TB. Remove the SSD, fit the new SSD and then re-instate the image onto the new SSD. The imaging software should be on a bootable USB stick because once the SSD is removed the pc wont boot. 2) the other way is remove the ssd, fit the blank ssd and the use a w10 install usb stick to install a new copy of w10(it will automatically activate if its the same version as the original), but you will have lost all your apps.

• David

Your laptop comes with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, although Asus state that specifications may change according to your country.

All but the very latest laptops have a standard size SSD and HDD - these are 2.5"  form factor. The very latest come with M.2 drives about the size of a stick of chewing gum.

I would remove the covers and look for the existing Drive(s) If they are squarish and 2.5" then you have a 2.5 form factor drives. If they are the size of a stick of chewing gum then you have an M.2 drive. M.2 drives come in various lengths and can be either SATA or NVME - they are not usually interchangeable. Either way take the drive to a local computer store and ask them for a 500Gb/1TB capacity.

All new SSDs are blank and need an operating system installing. You need to either clone the old drive to the new or do a clean install of windows 10. If you need help on this update your post.

**Update** Click on my PC and check there isn't 1 TB  mechanical drive, with a gaming laptop it would be unusual if there wasn't. If you are sure there isn't a secondary 2.5 hard drive then you will need an external caddy to temporarily house the new M.2 drive while you do the clone. All new SSDs will come with some cloning software which can be downloaded from the manufacturers website. Download the software and follow the prompts. You will need to make a bootable rescue USB flash drive from the cloning software. Boot off the rescue USB, plug in the external caddy and do the clone, accept the option to resize the partitions. Once done remove the new drive from the caddy and swap out the drives.

If there is a 1TB HDD you won't need an external caddy. Still using the bootable rescue flash USB make an image file from the source M.2 onto the 1TB HDD. Shut down the computer, you can then swap round the old/new M.2. Again boot off the rescue media flash drive and restore the image file using the cloning software onto the new M.2. If there is an option to resize the partitions do this as well otherwise you will end up with a large M.2 drive with the original size partitions and a lot of free space.