Should I destroy my boyfriends  ar-15 since he refuses to get rid of it and I’m scared of having a weapon like that in our house ?

There is no reasons any civilian needs a gun like that it’s meant for killing. I love my boyfriend but I’m not going to allow a machine gun in my house, he has handguns he doesn’t need a machine gun . If he refuses to sell it should I take a sledgehammer and smash it 

No. You do not have the right to destroy property of others and he may file charges against you. If you do what you say, then you will be no better than Trump supporters like he probably is.  Do only what you are legally empowered to do. What you need to do is to break up with him.

I have relatives( grown adults w/full time jobs,etc) who've encountered this battle of wills.

1st - make sure all the guns are paid for....if not.....have the boyfriend pay them off.

1A - i am sure all the guns are legally registered to him.....make sure, if not....register them.

2nd - shop for a safe.....i say shop for a safe b/c if he has other guns/weapons they all need to go in a safe if they are to be housed in your home. Yes - i have seen people forgo vacations to buy the gun safe and keep peace in the family.

2A -make sure all the guns are listed on the renters insurance/homeowners insurance  - for obvious reasons.

3rd( bear with me  on this) - we all have our things we don't like about the boyfriend/girlfriend.....

One of the mantras i have kept ( and has served me well over the years):

If you made the money, and you saved it.....invested it....then you get to make the decisions.

$2,000 shotgun bought with Overtime money...no problem.

6 handguns bought from estate sale that look remarkably similar bought with his bonus check...no problem.

---------- 

Happy to hear was the resolution was. 

I am from a big family tree and we all  have done different things professionally and live in different places and encountered our hurdles.

• Ludwig

Yes.  Get some sort of abrasive, like a metal file and some emery cloth, and take a bit off the end off the firing pin.  That might be fun.

You should find another boyfriend.

The procedure for when you find that you are completely incompatible with a boy/girl friend is to say goodbye and find somebody else. Deciding, in stead, to destroy their stuff is not recommended and can have negative ramifications.

NOT POSSIBLE. If you hate guns half as much as you keep claiming, anyone that owed a gun wouldn't be your boyfriend.

You also have ZERO knowledge of guns if you think an AR-15 is a machine gun.

• L

An AR-15 is not an machine gun.  Your boy friend can buy which gun he wants.  If you don't like guns..........then find someone else who doesn't like guns.

• xyzzy

First of all a AR15 is not a machine gun. If you really loved your boyfriend you would learn something about guns. A typical AR15 type weapon cost between $1000 and $2000, I'm sure he will understand you smashing something of hos that cost that much.

Destruction of private property that is not yours is a criminal offense. So doing so will damage your relationship with him and possibly land you in jail. On top of that the judge could rule you have to buy him another one.

If it is truly your house and you feel that militant about it, have him move out.

If it is not truly your house and it is his house, then move out.

I would bet that if you said "It's either me or the gun!" that you would be looking for a new place to live or new boyfriend.

• T C

It's not a machine gun it's a semi auto.... and a pistol is not a rifle. 

Quit trying to legislate what people should or should not have or enjoy having ....oh tolerant one