Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 months ago

How soon after his wife's death can you start flirting with a man?

His wife died. I have a crush on him. The funeral is tomorrow. How long do I have to wait before I can start asking him to date me

• ?

You are a heartless person to want to swoop in on a grieving widower.

Leave him alone. If and when he is attracted to you, you will know when and if he asks you out.

OR

Pounce on him now so he can forever cross you off his potential dating list.

Please acknowledge that the poor man needs time to grieve, so jumping at the opportunity to pursue him because he lost his wife is deeply unsettling and doesn't reflect well on your true intentions. Try use whatever goodness you have in your heart to genuinely be there for him if you truly care for him, rather than hoping for a chance to corner him into a relationship through flirting. He is not ready for that and it would be selfish of you to rob him off of his grieving process. It's not like he divorced his wife, she died (MHSRIP), so he obviously still loves her and needs the time to process her untimely departure.

Peace be upon you and please don't ever think that your lustful feelings can ever override or make up for his deeply painful and tragic situation.

Do it at the funeral. 

• Greth

It's impossible to say as everyone is different and grief will vary from person to person.  I know I grieve VERY slowly.  I found that despite it being just over 5 years ago, I still get teary thinking about my DOG who died, so God only knows what I'd go through if it was my wife.

I do NOT think you should do anything for at least a month.  Let this man get over the fact that his wife is truly gone and begin to learn to face life again.  Then there's no harm in mentioning that you have feelings for him and see how he reacts/what he says.  If you are already in his life as an acquaintance/friend, try to be there for him as just that for now, though - a friend, not a friend who has ulterior motives.  You will need to tread carefully around him as he will be vulnerable to rebounding as well.

• T J

For sure 6 months...good lord she is not even buried. there is a name for people like you, but YA will not allow it.

As soon as you're comfortable getting a new spouse go right ahead and do it. The marriage vows are to death do us part

LOL you're kidding, right?  OMG

Make sure it has been at least 30 minutes after the funeral, don't deny grieving time.

Rub up against him at the wake. That should work.

Just do him on the casket.