Jehovah’s witnesses, Can I have your thoughts on Stephen Lett’s statement About children and love.?

I refer to this ‘annointed’ ‘faithful slaves’ statement at the 2019 “Love never fails convention”

Where he stated “Children are not born with the godly quality of love, in fact because of imperfection they’re born with the opposite”

(1) How would he know this never having fathered children?

(2) If man is created in the image of God and God is love, then is Lett’s statement not patently foolish?

(3) see attached video which clearly proves him wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YwT_Gx49os

Youtube thumbnail

Update:

Shadowfire, Dates times and places.

Update 2:

Teem states "The first 12 months of a child's life is ruled by selfishness" This is more akin to Alice in wonderland where the duchess says; "Speak roughly to your little boy and beat him when he sneezes, he only does it to annoy because he knows it teases".

Update 3:

Teem in your quote “when the 'Christian' societies encountered 'non christian' societies. They learned, idea of 'Christian love' or 'godly love”.

How do you square this with your usual stance that JW’s are the only true Christians? Because in your quote you recognize that there were ‘Christian societies’ that were exporting Christian love, and yet this was hundreds of years before your society existed.

Update 4:

Notice that you have attempted to have the question taken down again Anonymous as you did the last one. Why are you so unsecure in your faith that you have to keep having genuine questions removed???

Update 5:

Brian read my answer I rely on scriptures not watchtower publications. All I am hearing from you is visit JW org. Can't you guys think for yourselves?

Update 6:

Brian, sadly for you its not my idea of what natural affection is its Greek 'Stergeo' the 4th greek word for love. Which is why most modern translation translate it as such. The whole point is it's NATURAL. that means baby's NATURALLY possess it. Try reading the Bible and not watchtower publications.

Update 7:

Brian I notice you mention 'Trinitarians' But your friend teem states that true Christians were colonising the world and taking Christian love. This was many centuries before your organization existed. And guess what, the Christians doing the colonising like the pilgrim fathers, were 'trinitarians'.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Wow!  Just reading this thread for the first time.  It appears that JWs have developed a very distorted view of newborn babies.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Like your last question, I doubt that this question will stay up for long. There are people that censor anything having to do with Jehovah's Witnesses.

That said:

"Where he stated “Children are not born with the godly quality of love, in fact because of imperfection they’re born with the opposite”?"

Maybe this will help you understand what Mr Lett is saying with regards to "godly quality of love":https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1974526

(1) How would he know this never having fathered children?

He has the Bible that teaches him what "godly quality of love" is. One doesn't need to be a father to understand what the "godly quality of love" is.

(2) If man is created in the image of God and God is love, then is Lett’s statement not patently foolish?

Maybe you need to understand what "godly quality of love" is before you can throw around false accusations.

Another place where you might be able to understand what Mr Lett is talking about is here:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102002048

“God Is Love”

Of all the qualities that Jehovah possesses, love is the dominant one. It is also the most appealing. As we examine some of the beautiful facets of this gemlike quality, we will come to see why the Bible says that “God is love.”​—1 John 4:8.

• 1 month ago

Update to teem Anonymous and Brian.

Let’s look at Teems answer which JW Brian says is ‘on point’.

Teem starts by ‘Googling’ his answer, this is his problem. He starts by looking at what google teaches and not what the scriptures say. This makes a mockery of his last statement “Thank you again for showing the truthfulness of God's word and how Jehovah's organization remains loyal to it”.

Teem further goes on to launch into a detailed explanation of what is meant by the ‘Godly quality of love’. But fails to point out that the Bible never mentions this. The Bible states that “God is love” not that He has certain qualities of love and not others.

He says, “The godly quality of love is 'self-sacrificing'”. I would ask, How does he know this when “The godly quality of love” is never mentioned in the scriptures? It is a watchtower invention!

He then tries to support this by stating, “The early signs of affection a baby shows are 'not self- sacrificing' and thus is not the godly quality of love.” Once again how does he know this when this “godly quality of love” is never mentioned in the scriptures? It is a watchtower invention.

Two passages in the Bible clearly explain the weakness in Teem’s answer. they are found in (Rom 1:31) and (2 Tim 3:3). Here we see the term ‘Natural affection’. Note NATURAL affection. It is something which Humans have NATURALLY at birth but lose as they grow up, which is totally the opposite to that which teem and Lett claim.

The word stergeo ("natural affection") is one of four Greek words for "love," Along with Philia, eros and agape. This is why many new translations translate it as Love. But the point is the Bible says that we have it Naturally.

His next statement I find totally unbelievable “The first 12 months of a child's life is ruled by selfishness”. Teem would have us believe that when a baby cries, which is the only way of communicating his/her hunger to mum, or the need for a change of nappy, then he/she is being selfish. But notice, when a Baby is fed and changed, they stop crying and go to sleep. This is not selfishness but communication. If this is the JW norm for raising children, then is there any wonder that their organization are in courts worldwide for child abuse?

We can see from teem’s reasoning, that when he says to someone, “I am hungry” he is being selfish and not expressing his need for food, Wow!

He further states, “Children being created in God's image, means they can learn love or have a form of love”. Not according to the scriptures teem which state they have it naturally. And lose it remember, “Without NATURAL affection”

His use of (Luke 6:32) & (Matthew 5:46-48) Prove the point we all have it naturally. Brian, I would go on to say that Teem isn’t ‘on point’ at all, if anything his answer demonstrates a total lack of knowledge as to what the Bible clearly teaches

• Brian
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Edit2: Reb. You used a couple scriptures out of context to push your idea of what natural affection is. You did nothing different from what user Nadine does about her twofold god.

Edit: Reb, as Trinitarians usually do, you refuse to listen to what others are saying and try to push your personal ideas rather than rely on what the Bible says. You didn't say anything except for what you think love is. You disnt even try to grasp what was said. 

TeeM is on point as usual. Reb doesn't know what the "godly quality of love is." 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's pretty obvious that you have to train children in The godly quality of love children experience maternal affection just like any other animal but love is not an emotion it's a choice in The obedience of God. And Adam and Eve gave that up for all of us.

You don't have to teach children to misbehave or to tell lies. But you do have to educate them in what real love is according to God's word

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Interesting question.

Googling "Do babies learn love" the first reference is:

"The answer is a resounding yes."

Another site states:

"The way that caregivers love baby is the way baby will learn deep in their heart to love others"

Another point you missed in your quote was.

Brother Lett's comment is about the "godly quality of love".

The godly quality of love is 'self-sacrificing'.

Again this self-sacrificing quality is learned and is taught by their god loving parents.

It is also learned by coming to know the only true God and the one whom he sent.

Learning to imitate our heavenly Father.

Learning to imitate his Firstborn Son.

The early signs of affection a baby shows are are 'not self sacrificing' and thus is not the godly quality of love.

The first 12 months of a child's life is ruled by selfishness.

The 'terrible twos' arise when the infant learns 'they are not the center of the universe'. They have to learn their place within the family.

Mommy and daddy are not going to drop everything every time the infant cries, as they did for the first 12 months.

Feed me, play with me, hold me, clean me.

A child picks up the love and hates of their parents.

If the parents hate certain people (racism), their child will pick up this hatred.

One of the problems encountered during 'colonization' of the non christian nations by Europeans, when the 'christian' societies encountered 'non christian' societies.

They learned, idea of 'christian love' or 'godly love' was foreign to these ones.

Many non christian societies viewed 'godly love' as a weakness and foolishness.

Children being created in God's image, means they can learn love or have a form of love, but as Br. Lett stated, according to God's word they are born with an imperfection.

Their natural tendencies are "ME first", inherited from their first parents , Adam and Eve.

(Genesis 8:21) . . .for the inclination of the heart of man is bad from his youth up; . . .

Since we are born with badness in our heart, since we are born with sin.

We must learn godly love and stripe off the old personality

(Ephesians 4:22-24) 22 You were taught to put away the old personality that conforms to your former course of conduct and that is being corrupted according to its deceptive desires. 23 And you should continue to be made new in your dominant mental attitude, 24 and should put on the new personality that was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty. . .

The 'old personality' is the personality we are born with.

The 'old personality' doesn't include the 'godly quality of love'

Jesus describes the world's form of love as:

(Luke 6:32) . . .For even the sinners love those loving them.

(Matthew 5:46-48) 46 For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing? 48 You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Thank you again for showing the truthfulness of God's word and how Jehovah's organization remains loyal to it.

• I hate to be a negative Nelly, especially when it comes to disproving the claims of the various Christian denominations, but there was an experiment in Nazi Germany with some very disturbing results. They raised a group of children from infancy without any adult interaction whatsoever. The children were given everything they needed, but had no idea where it was coming from. They basically began acting like wild beasts, showing no affection whatsoever for one another. the experiment was ended with one of the children killed another one.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.