Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality ยท 1 month ago

Why do Muslims say John 14:16 predict the coming of Muhammad?

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever (John 14:16)

Could they be right???

Their Quran states that Jesus predicted the coming of Muhammad.

Surah As-Saff:

61:6 "And (remember) when 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), said: "O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allah unto you confirming the Taurat [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed . But when he (Ahmed i.e. Muhammad ) came to them with clear proofs, they said: "This is plain magic."

So (according to them) there has to be a prediction of Muhammad somewhere in the gospels, but there is nothing remotely like the above quotation anywhere in the four gospels.

So they looked for a verse which, if taken out of context, was the "best fit". But even if you don't look at the context, John 14:16 says things no Muslim could agree to

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;"

- it calls God "the Father";

- it says that the Comforter would come to the eleven disciples to whom Jesus was speaking, but they were all dead by the time of Muhammad;

- it says the Comforter would abide with them for ever, but Muhammad was a mortal man who died in 632 AD.

And reading the rest of chapter 14 we find John 14:26, which settles the issue:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

Muslims get round this by saying that the Gospels must have been altered. But how would they react if a modern man said he was a prophet, predicted by Muhammad in the Quran, but the Quran was altered?

• User

The chance that they are right is EXTREMELY small

given what else the author has to say about that Helper in that very same chapter

and given the Muslim reasoning

which involves the translation of a homophone (not a cognate) in one language to a different language.

If you don't understand that last point

it's like you reading the German sentence

- Wo ist der Ratskeller?

and saying

- Well, clearly that sentence is talking about a rats killer. I don't care what it means in the language of its authorship, it's clearly very close to "rats killer", and since my religion is true, and since that sentence supports my religion if it means "rats killer", then it can't possibly mean anything else.

They just couldn't help themselves.

Because they are idiots.ย  If they were to read the whole statement and not just the first half of it, it says that Comforter is the Holy Spirit that Jesus would send to dwell with us after his return to heaven.

If they believe that Muhammad is the Holy Spirit and that he lives within the hearts of men, then they can say this verse refers to him.ย  But since they reject the idea that Muhammad was anything but a prophet, and not God himself, and that he can somehow live in the hearts of men, they can not say this refers to him.

• Archer

I don't "worship". It demonstrates a lacking in one's life.

They like to pick and choose. Just like many other critics of the Bible.

In the original Greek the word used for help means this:

An intercessor, consoler: - advocate, comforter.

Muhammad and his followers are by no means "comforters"

No!ย  In the context of that passage, they definitely are not right.ย  I honestly can't respect anyone who believes that's a legitimate interpretation.ย 

The Bible was talking about me, the Holy Spirit in human carnation. You guys are welcome I am here with you guys.