Nick asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Excessive saliva due to anxiety/stress?

Hello all. I'm 25 years old and I've been dealing with this issue on and off or over a year. I have to frequently swallow my saliva(sometimes every 30 seconds) as my mouth will keep watering. It also feels like my tongue has too much saliva on it but when I look at it in a mirror, it looks normal. What's interesting however is that when my mind is occupied with something or I'm in a really good mood, I don't experience this. It seems like this is anxiety/stress/ocd related. I don't take any medications. If this is anxiety related, what can I do to help solve this issue? Sometimes I get depressed when I'm going through this and it can be very stressful and annoying. Any tips/suggestions would really mean a lot, thank you. 

• Donna

Make sure you are brushing your teeth and keeping your mouth clean often enough, as excess bacteria can cause weird mouth issues like this. I brush my tongue too. I'd try brushing well and flossing and rinsing immediately when this happens and see if it helps at all. If that doesn't solve the problem, try talking to a doctor or nurse practitioner. I have more problems with getting excess mucous in my throat because of reflux. When your mind is occupied, you might not notice this as much, because our bodies have systems that balance each other. When you are busy, often your body will lessen certain activities that it does while you are resting, such as digestion. Anyways, I hope this helps a little, but a doctor or nurse practitioner should be able to give you some helpful suggestions.

Excessive salivation, also called **Sialorrhia**, is generally not a symptom of anxiety *directly**, however, one does not preclude the other. I have had patients that salivate (and sweat) excessively and coincidentally had high anxiety, but they are not connected. There are ways to treat excessive salivation. Generally it is a hypothalamic condition and can be treated with anticholinergic medications.

* **Update: *** anxiety can cause hypersalivation indirectly through a consequential condition of anxiety called IBS, or *irritable bowel syndrome.*