How can I make my singing voice better?

I enjoy writing songs. I typically write them in English but I usually only sing the songs i wrote in german because my English singing voice isn't very good.

My voice is pretty high and childish in german so I think it sound cute similar to Kimya Dawson ( if she spoke German) 

But in english i think I sound bad. I actually speak English fine so it's not an accent thing ( grew up in America for most of my life ) 

I can't afford a proper teacher currently so if anyone can tell me what to do or link me to a free resource that'd be great.

Thank you!

The same way you make anything better. With study and lots and lots of practice. Your voice is an instrument that you need to learn to play. And the more you do, the better you get. If someone asked, "How can I play the guitar better?" the obvious answer would be "practice".