Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

If a white African has kids in America are?

The kids called african American? I think so cause they are actually from africa and deserve the title more.not some blk american who never been to africa

In America if they're from Africa but their skin is white they're not going to be acknowledged as African.

Even if they were born in Africa and moved here like a month ago.

The children of immigrants born in the US are generally just considered US citizens unless they hold dual citizenship and choose to hyphenate. In which case they'd be Kenyan-American, Nigerian-American, or whatever. "African-Americans" are the descents of people who had their nation/region of origin stripped from them. They're named after the whole continent because they don't know where their roots actually lie. 

• ?

This is really funny. I know a man (white) from Capetown. He emigrated to the US years ago, during Apartheid. I told him his kids were African American. He went freaking nuts!  He said "We're IRISH".

Anyone who's <50% "black" is truly "white" or Caucasian z

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Originally we called blacks something started with n

We needed to come with a new term because they complained about it so much. African-American was never meant to be accurate.

• Craig

A fine bit of logic, there.  They are certainly entitled to call themselves that, if they wish.  Not many people will understand it...but we aren't constrained to only doing things that make sense to other people, are we?

I can't see taking any objections that anyone might raise very seriously.  A rose by any other name...etc.

Go ahead.i never consider myself african american anyway.im just black american.whites dont call themselves euro american,therefore I'm just black american

Source(s): My opinion

You know the difference between a noun and an adjective, right?   Some words can be both and definition depends on usage.    Some words have more than one definition as well.

When it comes to the phrase "African American" - "African" is an adjective that refers to race.  "American" is a noun that refers to an American citizen.

Children born in the USA to a white person from Africa are not referred to as African Americans.   As I said, the "African" refers to race, not nationality.

This is what I refer to as an "Amelia Bedelia" (famous children's book).   We can draw the drapes or dress the turkey, but that doesn't actually mean that someone is drawing a picture of the drapes or someone is putting a Donna Karan on a dead bird.    They are expressions that have an understood meaning even though the literal meaning of the words could mean something else.

Why are racist always worried about what we do? Is it affecting you one bit? Actually Africans say they are Nigerian American, South African American, Ghanaian American and etc... The reason we are considered African Americans is because our ancestors were from Africa but we don’t know exactly which country in Africa our ancestors are from. Again mind YOUR business 

Great observation but that only works when you are high