Why is my toilet gurgling?

We live in an apartment and according to our landlord share a line with 3 other units. We have two toilets in our unit. We've been having ongoing issues with both toilets simultaneously clogging at the same time. Our landlord has snaked the drain 80ft with no sign of a clog, checked the other units, they haven't experienced the same. Along with clogging there has also been loud gurgling and bubbling noises that come from both toilets. Recently to try and fix the issue our landlord replaced the one toilet we use the most. Just today I heard the same gurgling coming from the new toilet and the water level inside the bowl is all the way to the bottom now. If there isn't a clog in the pipes is there something else we should be checking? The new toilet was flushed today and didn't flush all the way.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

There's an issue with the plumbing vent.  If your landlord is not a plumber he might not know to check this.  Fortunately it's usually an easy fix by a plumber.  He's going to be kicking himself for spending so much money buying a new toilet when this could have been quickly resolved by bringing in reputable professionals.  Send your landlord the links below and suggest this is the problem.  The units that are also having problems either share the same vent or are being clogged for the same reason.

• 1 month ago

Maybe a bird or something is clogging the roof vent. All plumbing is vented with a pipe to the roof. But really sounds like a clog in the main pipe somewhere. Maybe when landlord snaked, the snake went up the pipe instead of down to follow to the street?

• 1 month ago

bubbling means something  causes gas to burble up, call another plumber or tell the lord of the manor something still stnks

• 1 month ago

it is gurgling because the pipe is blocked when you let water go down the air in the pipe has to escape 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I agree, that sounds like a classic case of the air vent/stack being blocked.  The system needs to draw air to let the "water" flow properly, if it doesn't you'll get the symptoms you describe.  If the vent pipe goes through the roof and isn't protected by a mesh or something it may have a bird's nest or the like blocking it.  

Sometimes, here at least, the vent pipe may open into the loft space, in which case it's fitted with an air admittance valve which opens under suction as needed and otherwise closes to prevent smells in the loft. If that valve sticks it can cause the same problem.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Vent is likely clogged.  Call a plumber.

• 1 month ago

If you are on a septic tank, then there is your problem......Septic Tank is Full and Field lines can not handle the discharge from tank. If it has been raining to the point that the ground is saturated then ground water table has risen. Could be tree roots clogging the field lines also. You are 1/2 of a flush from have sewer water in your floors!

• 1 month ago

fyi:  the vent is also known as the plumbing stack ... it's the part that goes through the roof on an ordinary house.  Where it goes in your apartment, I do not know.  Possible problems include small birds that nested in the stack, critters using it for storage or nesting, etc., or that it was accidentally blocked [or partly blocked] by something [where ever it is].  -- grampa

• fuzzy
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Sounds like the vent/stand pipe may be clogged 

• Ivan
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Go onto youtube and search for "toilet siphon jet cleaning". I thought my tolet was clogged too, but it turned out the toilet was not clogged, the siphon jet was. A few minutes with a brush and the toilet is working fine again.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.