Anonymous

can i do a 4 year college before a 2 year college?

can i continue my degree by transferring to a 2 year college after going to a four year college? i already got into a 4 year college and the deadline for the 2 year college has already passed so it’s too late, but i was wondering if i could continue my degree after going to 4 year college, so that i could get a masters degree? i’m so stressed out should i have applied to the 2 year college first

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Master's degrees are not offered by 2 year colleges. 2 year colleges offer the courses in the first two years of a 4 year degree, and often some vocational programs. Masters degrees are offered by universities (the term "university" means it's a college with graduate degrees.) Yes, you can go on to get a master's degree, possibly in two years, but at a university, not a 2 year college.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can't get a master's at a 2-year college.  

You go to a 2-year college to earn an associate's degree and then transfer to a 4-year school for the last two years of a bachelor's program. Once you have the bachelor's, you are qualified to earn a master's, but you must do that in a graduate program at a university, NOT a 2-year school.  Earning a master's will take 1-3 years, depending on the subject type of program.

• 1 month ago

Community colleges offer associate's degrees, equivalent to the first two years of bachelor's degree studies. No, you do go to a 4-year university, then go to community college - EXCEPT for certain vocational/occupational training certifications offered through community colleges, e.g. paralegal certification. Most employers of paralegals prefer university graduates who also hold ABA paralegal certification or law degree.

• 1 month ago

As long as you are PAYING, they don't care HOW you do it.  In America, colleges are all about MONEY!  Degrees are BOUGHT by most wealthy people.  trump's father BOUGHT his degree from Wharton.  trump never attended the first day of a class at that school. He even PAID someone to take his SAT test too!  we ALL know that trump has the IQ of a 2 year old so there was NO WAY he was even getting into college without some palms getting greased.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That makes no sense.  Community colleges have two-year programs that give you an Associate's degree, which is worth next to nothing unless you transfer to a four-year college to get a Bachelor's degree.

Going to a community college when you already have a Bachelor's degree would be going backwards.

You study for a Master's degree at a the Graduate School of a university.

• 1 month ago

Master's degree programs may or may not last for two years, but they are not called "two-year degrees," and you don't earn them at "two-year colleges."

Master's degrees are graduate degrees. You need to get a Bachelor's (four-year) degree first. 

"Two-year colleges" are commonly called community colleges (if public) or junior colleges (if private). They do not issue Master's degrees, but Associate's degrees. 

An Associate's degree is either the first two years of a bachelor's degree (Associate of Arts or Associate of Science), or a stand-alone vocational or professional degree (Associates of Applied Science)(or ASN if in nursing). 

Community colleges usually do not issue Master's (or even bachelor's) degrees. 

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

2 year colleges, more known as community colleges or junior colleges, offer an Associate degree. They also have many two year career programs and vocational courses.

Universities offer a Bachelor degree and their graduate schools offer a Masters and Doctorate degrees. 

You are not transferring to a graduate school. You earned a Bachelor degree, then you must apply to Graduate schools to earn your Masters degree. 

• 1 month ago

Community colleges offer associate's degrees, equivalent to the first two years of bachelor's degree studies. No, you do go to a 4-year university, then go to community college - EXCEPT for certain vocational/occupational training certifications offered through community colleges, e.g. paralegal certification. Most employers of paralegals prefer university graduates who also hold ABA paralegal certification or law degree. 

• 1 month ago

Master's degrees are not offered by 2 year colleges. 2 year colleges offer the courses in the first two years of a 4 year degree, and often some vocational programs. Masters degrees are offered by universities (the term "university" means it's a college with graduate degrees.) Yes, you can go on to get a master's degree, possibly in two years, but at a university, not a 2 year college. 

• 1 month ago

I did that. After I got out of a 4-year college, I went to night classes at a 2-year college to brush up my job skills.

But if you're working on a 4-year degree, or a master's degree, they don't offer those at a 2-year college.  Everything at a 2-year college is 'lower division', or in pursuit of a 2-year degree.

And that's kind of a shame.  If you could get a bachelor's degree at a 2-year college, you could save a lot of money!  (AND 2 years!)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.