Anonymous

First-time. College student advice any advice. ?

I will become a nontraditional 

online accounting undergraduate 

student this summer I am 22 almost 23 graduated at 18 worked blue-collar jobs and now plan to go back to school, 

by taking 15 credits per semester. Any advice from older folks and former students would help. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Treat school like a job. Make a schedule and keep it. You'll need to allocate at least 2 hours for "homework" for every hour of "classroom" time.  Do your reading and assignments every single day. Ask for help early if you find you're having problems. 

If you are working as well as going to school, consider taking fewer credits. Your goal isn't to speed through. Your goal is to master the content so you can apply that information to a career. GPA does matter when you first get out of school, so better grades (which suggest better comprehension of the material) is important too. 

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Giving the same advice I give to on-campus students, I have 2 recommendations.  The first is to make sure you make the adjustment from the high school style of academics to the college style.  High schoolers are in class about 35 hours a week.  College students attend class less than half that time.  Consequently, outside the classroom work becomes much more important in college.  Many otherwise able students are defeated by failing to make that adjustment.

The second is to understand how your GPA works mathematically, and to get off to as good a start as possible grade wise.  A student with a high GPA after 2 years will not have too much of a decline if they hit a rough spot later.  Those with a low GPA after 2 years will not see much improvement, even if they excel their last 2 years.

• hamel5
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It isn't easy - but, set a schedule and try to stick to it. If you get into trouble, don't wait to ask for help.   Don't get behind - it's harder to play catch up when you're working even part time.  

Good luck - you're doing the right thing.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.