Why are most car dealerships, both new and used, so slimly in the way they do business?

I think you meant to say 'slimy'.

Sales tends to be a slimy business overall - and I honestly can't stand it (and while I did it on and off when I was younger, I can't imagine making a living doing it).

Car sales is especially bad, because most cars (new or used) are brutally overpriced - and because the vast overwhelming number of people simply walk onto the lot and pay whatever is asked, salesmen tend to operate from a position that everyone who comes on the lot is an dupe.

Then they act 'offended' if you assert yourself, as if they are doing you some kind of favor - when it is you, the customer, who is the one shelling out the $$.

They are experts at telling when you (or if you are buying a car with your significant other - one of you) falls in love with a vehicle.  Even if you try to hide the signs, they pick up on it really quickly, and they stop talking deal.

It takes a lot of effort and practice to get good at buying a car and actually getting the best deal.  I have yet to perfect it, but always being willing to walk away is the first step.  My wife and I have gotten pretty good at playing 'good cop/bad cop' with them - one of us *really* wants the car, while the other keeps nitpicking about price, features, color, etc.

They generally pick up on it pretty quick, but they love to play head games too - so they can basically go f**k themselves.

Getting someone to agree to buy a car is not easy.  So salesmen resort to all sorts of tactics.  

Feel free to pay thousands more at camax or carvana. No slime, just high prices.

• Anton

I have had only two bad dealers, who didn't have the vehicle I wanted and was pushing his crap (one truck, one motorcycle.)

Thing is, I am honest, I expect honesty, and I get it.  If you keep finding "slimly" dealers, it is probably you.