how to get rid of hiccups?

to give some context, i have a pretty severe fear of the dark and i accidentally turned off my light while the lamp was off so i started panicking and hyperventilating and stuff. because of the hyperventilating i think it gave me the hiccups so i had the hiccups even today (all day today and last night yesterday), its starting to hurt my throat and stuff so i really wanna get rid of them cause i cant sleep anymore

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Hiccups, is a form of myoclonus, are repeated spasms of the diaphragm ( the muscle that seprates the chest from the abdomen), followed by quick, noisy closing of the glottis( the opening between the vocal cords that checks the flow of air to the lungs).

Hiccups can develop when a stimulus triggers the nerves that contract the diaphragm. The nerves involved may be those that lead to and from the diaphragm, or------because contraction of the diaphragm is responsible for each breath-- they may be the nerves leading to and from the area in the brain that controls breathing.

HOLDING YOUR BREATH MAY DO THE TRICK SINCE------doing this carbon dioxide accumulates in the blood and this should work.........

Breathing into a paper bag will also raise the CD levels.

Drink  water fast eat some dry bread chew on ice... 

If this is an issue you might need more intensive treatments( drugs)

Source(s): nurse
  • 1 month ago

Hold your breath while drinking a glass of water

Source(s): .
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Stimulating the back of your tongue seems to help, so try swallowing a teaspoon of sugar.

If you can't get rid of them, you'll need to see a doctor.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.