Amanda asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

My retainers got lost and now I don’t know what to do. What steps should I take?

I’m honestly extremely worried right now. I was out eating with my friends and took my retainers out. I wrapped them in a paper towel and put it in my pocket. I don’t know where they went or what happened but they are lost. My friend cleaned out his car afterward and I cleaned out my bag; None of which had my retainer. This happened just a few hours ago but it’s Saturday and my orthodontist will not be open until Monday at the earliest. My bottom retainers cracked, and this wasn’t a big problem because my bottom teeth don’t really move that much, but my top teeth shift quick because I just got my braces off two months ago. I have to wear my Invisalign retainers for 24 hours a day. It’s been about 7 hours and I’m already beginning to see the slight gap in my front two teeth. The first question I have is how do I tell my mom this happened? I literally just cracked my bottom retainers last week and got the bottom retainer redone, with my luck of course 3 days later I lost my top one. The next question and the one I fear most is what will happen with my next set of retainers? If my top teeth shift this quickly and have already shifted a bit in just 7 hours, how will they be able to create a mold to straighten my teeth back to where they need to be in 2 or 3 days from now? What should I do? What is my best bet? Please help, thanks.

Just tell your mom what happened. I'm sure she'll understand. When you go back to your orthodontist get a new retainer and then ask if you can get a backup one as well!

tell your mom rather than wait for her to find out.. and unfortunately you do need a new one unless the restaurant staff where you ate found it... the orthodotist is trained how to fix the shifting

• k w

go back to the dentist and get fitted for a spare set.....

Your retainer is a crucial part of your orthodontic treatment. After you have gone through months (or years) of braces, you want to be certain that your teeth stay straight. Unfortunately, removable retainers are quite small and can be easy to misplace. If you have lost your retainer and are wondering what to do now, you have come to the right place. Today, the team at Parkcrest Dental Group will discuss the steps you should take if you think your retaineris lost.

call the place you went to and see if someone turned them in

Call the restaurant immediately.  Someone cleaning up the table may have found it.  Pray! 

Tell your mom now.  You  may be able to get an emergency appointment.  But a few days either way may not matter. Don't panic.