Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 3 months ago

Should I create a back-up for my HDD?

I've had my HDD in my laptop for around 3.5+ years now. How long will it last and should I sign up to a service like backblaze as a precaution? To be blunt I really don't want to create a back-up cause it will cost money obviously...

• ?

While it's easy to copy files and folders to an external hard drive, it's also easy to forget. You never know when you might need to access your files, so you'll want to back them up regularly to make sure you always have a copy of the most recent version.

• AAAJ

Yup. Create backup after a month or so is a great idea

An ordinary reinforcement for at any rate the My Documents organizer or your client profile envelope (that contains My Documents in addition to other things) is a smart thought REGARDLESS of the sort of drive you have in your framework.

It always pays to back up data but I am using one laptop that is over ten years old and my other one is a little newer.  The advantage they can view CD's and DVD;s and I understand the new ones are made without these drives.  So backing up data is easier these days with small thumb drives and SD cards that have huge capacities. 

A regular backup for at least the My Documents folder or your user profile folder (that contains My Documents among other things) is a good idea REGARDLESS of the type of drive you have in your system.

Trust me, if you have to pay someone to try to recover data from a dying hard drive, you will WISH you had spent the money for a backup.

• ?

Immediately, if not sooner.

For sure making a backup will cost money. I paid money, so I can make backups of my data. I have data that I don't want to lose. I never signed up, for any service. I make my own backups, and it normally takes me about a couple of minutes.

Consider it as insurance. If the drive ever fails or if you ever have a software update that breaks the system, you will pay much much more to restore pieces of what you lost. At minimum, get a USB stick with enough capacity to store your personal files. Ideally, get a USB storage device big enough for a full backup. And there are several software products that can manage that for you. Or, you can just keep hoping nothing goes wrong.

• BigE

You won't need it until you need it.  If your laptop drive dies are you going to miss any files or data?  Would you need it back in a reasonable time?

If you don't take some precautions, then your data can be lost forever.  A laptop is even more susceptible because you move it, and you can't install extra drives that are connected all the time.

I have 3 types of backups on my desktop (cloud, local storage periodic, and disk cloned) because I lost my hard drive and it took a week to get it rebuilt.

You don't have to back them up, necessarily, but it can make your life easier if your entire hard drive fails. If you're the type of person that likes to play around with system files, edit the registry, and regularly update your hardware, having a full system backup may save you time when things go wrong.

Check out the following

Start

Enter backup