How do you tell if  something was written by a man or woman?

I’m sorry to sound a bit sexist here  but I seem to have grown an interest in studying how the male and female mind work when it comes to sentence structuring, word salads or whatever it’s called, and how they think in general

You don't. I have read a great deal throughout my lifetime, which would make 63 or so years of reading a minimum of two books a week, not to mention magazines, newspapers, web articles, and almost anything else I can get my hands on, and I do not find any difference in sentence structuring between men and women writers. You do find general differences in what is being written about and what emphasis is put on what, but if you were handed a novel and told to read it and say whether a man or woman wrote it based on how the language is used, you'd probably be wrong a good deal of the time. You'd probably be wrong even more often if it was a technical or scientific book or article.

Look to see if there is a byline at the top of the article or inside the book cover. Most authors still use their given names which usually has gender connotations, and I hope they always will. 

As far as usage of the words and structure, read a lot and pay attention, you will be able to tell in about 20 years if a male or female wrote something and you will be accurate about 90% of the time. It is not sexist to acknowledge the separation of genders. In fact it is absolute stupidity to suggest we eliminate gender separation. Men and women are not the same and cannot be the same. You might as well say a tree is the same as a marshmallow 

You don't.  You can use tools like pattern analysis to tell the differences between writers, because different writers have different styles.  But this has nothing to do with gender.  Men write romance novels under female pseudonyms.  Women write military novels under male pseudonyms.  Some can even vary their writing style depending upon the target audience.

Women tend to write a lot of romantic novels. If you look at the paperback "drug store romance" books, there mostly women writers.

But haven't seen them lately. I guess there are mostly online thesedays. That's the only CLEAR distinction I can find.

Source(s): Used to see them in newsstands and drug stores, but not so much now.

Writing patterns may help you to find out if it was written by a male or female but sometimes it is really hard to identify.

• Phil M

Since individual writing styles vary so widely in men and women, there could be no way to tell all of the time.

You can't tell--and you shouldn't try. Patterns of thought attributed to male or female authors is sexist, and stereotyping that is not only unfair, but not based in fact or use. 

If you read a lot more you'd understand that. What you're talking about is not upheld in good literature or good writing. It's more of a cultural and personal prejudice. 

• garry

hand written it easy , women are more neater , typed out you cant tell .

such conclusions are invalid.  There are plenty of examples from earlier times of women writing under a male pseudonym and no one was the wiser.  [Psychology is more complex than that.]

Actually, no this is not sexist.  There is a scientific field that deals with this, and many scientific studies on this....  You can find them online if you know where to look.