Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 months ago

I heard much dog food is 80% water and has synthetic vitamins and minerals. I am scared to feed my puppy this?

• "I heard much dog food is 80% water and has synthetic vitamins and minerals. I am scared to feed my puppy this "

That field is supposed to END with your main question. WHERE is YOUR question?

You've told us what you've heard. You've told us you're scared. But you haven't ASKED us anything!

🤢 So YOU are going to have trouble working out who tried to be most helpful when ANSWERING your question! To reward that person you click the [Favourite Answer] button after that answer. It also refunds to you 3 of the 5 points it "costs" you to ask a question

We ALL "hear things". It is our adult role to work out which are scientific, which myth, which ignorance. BOY there is a lot of ignorance in Y!A - starting with those too lazy to punctuate, too lazy to check their spelling & grammar...

If this is your first entry to Y!A, LEARN that using the [Anonymous] (instead of the avatar and ID/username YOU chose) automatically declares that you are a coward, and usually means that you are an irresponsible lying troll.

And LEARN that almost all questions in the DOGS section need you to TELL us the dog's AGE and BREED and GENDER and whether it is fertile or neutered. Plus how LONG you have had it, and where it is while you are away from home. Many of them also need you to tell us your nearest town or CITY (include nation or state if more than one place in the world uses that town or city name) so that we can work out what the laws & bye-laws about dogs are in that district.

LEARN that COOKING destroys much of the nutritional value in meat.

Coyotes, dogs, and wolves evolved to thrive on RAW animal proteins - birds, eggs, insects, fish (remove all spiny "needle"-bones and put them where NO DOG can ever find them), mammals, reptiles. That includes their offals/organs, and breaking open their marrow bones (but eggs, insects, fish don't have marrow bones).

https://lesp90.wixsite.com/lorelei-gsd-kennels/adv...   will show you what I expect my buyers of GSDs to supply in various age-ranges - as you didn't state your pet's age & BREED (or breed-mix) I cannot suggest amounts for YOUR pet. I believe in "feeding by eye", meaning that you look at the dog's condition & energy and adjust the amount of food supplied to keep Poochie in athletic condition and enthusiastic to DO things with you.

I supply water in 2 ways. One is the water bowl. The other is in the milk I supply at least once a day throughout the dog's life UNLESS (like my first GSD, whose pedigree & registration were NOT available) it develops an allergy rash (commonly in its armpits and groin) - Caesar did at 3 or 4 months old, but his rash cleared up quite quickly once I stopped supplying cow's milk. Milk is VALUABLE by #1: supplying Calcium, one of the 3 most important minerals for proper bone & teeth development in any vertebrate creature, and useful for softening hard-baked kibbles. Bea:   https://lesp90.wixsite.com/lorelei-gsd-kennels/bea...   lovingly licked up every smear of milk before starting the kibble part of her breakfast.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

• garry

bad  news all vitamins are synthetic .

No canned food.  Stay with the hard kibbles, a puppy chow just for puppies.  No water in it unless you add it.  You can do some research on the different brands to find one you can afford, just don't go with the cheapest you can find.

• Maxi

Canned dog food is high volumes of water and kibbles are manufactured using commercially made chemical/synthetic vitamins/minerals/trace elements....... exacting the same manufactured chemicals found in any processed foods

• Jojo

Just feed your dog a good quality kibble food that is specially formulated for young pups. Mixing a small amount of canned food with it will make the kibble more palatable to the pup. 

If your pup is 8 weeks to 16 weeks old it should still be eating what the breeder was feeding it and the breeder should have given your a diet sheet for the puppy.

Also do not take notice of all you hear.

Do your own research and always read the ingredients label on any food you feed to your dog to satisfy yourself as to what the dog is eating, if  you are worried about anything.

• ?

TINNED dog food is generally 80% MOISTURE (which is different to water) but even if it's said to be complete, it's not so feeding tinned food alone isn't a good idea.

If you have a new puppy, you should be feeding him a good quality puppy food, with a little tinned food to add to smell and flavour if needed.   And according to the breeder's advice.   It's best to keep to what he's been eating at least to begin with so you don't upset his digestive system.    If you need to change, eventually, choose a good quality food which means one that lists meat, or fish, as the first (main) ingredient.   Avoid cereal-based food which is bulk mainly, and will go right through.

Paying more doesn't necessarily mean buying/feeding 'better'.   And vets are all too often paid to promote certain brands of dog food.   Not many have an indepth knowledge of what to feed a dog (in fact believe it or not, many vets have never owned a dog) - certainly most breeders should, especially when it comes to their breed, and bloodlines.   Two better-known brands list the ingredients starting with maize.   No way would I feed that.   And especially with medium to large breeds/types, you need to look at the protein level and avoid anything much over 26% or you'll be forcing to much growth too fast, and encouraging bone growth problems

• Robert

Just feed him dry Ol' Roy.

Nothing wrong with it; when you feed wet dog food they do not drink as much water. Besides, our body is 80% water, this is also true for the dogs. If you want to feed your dog dry food make sure to add some warm water to make it soft and get the flavor out. Sometimes you can mix the dry food with the wet food. 

i would ask your vet about it

Maybe, my dogs lived a long time being fed cheaper dogfood. If you have the money then higher quality dog food is probably better.