How do I get my old flatmates to pay me back? ?

I lived at a flat with my partner and his friend for a year. ( mind you I found the flat and sorted it out) we each payed $300 each for a bond payment. After finding out my partner cheated on me the two guys threw all my stuff out on the street and kicked me out. They told me that they didn’t expect me to pay rent and let the landlord know. They also replaced me with the other girl. I had paid every week and all my bills in full. After I left they stopped paying their rent weekly and not paying powerbills, putting the flat in debt. They will be receiving some of the $900 we payed upfront and I have said I expect my $300 back in full seeing as I paid rent every week all my bills and they’ve basically just told me to get ****** and that they’re taking the money for themselves. What do I do? 

5 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    Tell them you'll sue them if you have to, because you need the money.  If they don't take you seriously, take them to court, at once. 

  • 1 month ago

    Get all your evidence and proof together, talk to the landlord, and if things can't get sorted, think about talking to the police. They didn't have any right to kick you out, that should have been left strictly to the landlord to decide. If they stopped paying bills after you left, chances are pretty good that they won't be getting any money back at all. And even if they are, I'd try to get to the landlord first and explain the situation, and that you are technically owed. If you wanted to take things a step further and you have all the evidence to support your claims, you could also consider taking them to court. How that would actually go, especially with covid about, I'm not entirely sure, but I highly doubt those guys would see a single penny.

  • 1 month ago

    you call the police...duh.  they kicked you out of a house you legally rent..and they can sue them too

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If they stopped paying rent, the landlord will not be giving them their deposit back, it will be used to repay the rent they owe........... and if the landlord was in agreement to you leaving and another person moving in, then the landlord should have given you your portion of the deposit back, or the new tenant should have paid you that amount when they moved in......... really is it is doubtful you will ever see any of it and even if you spend more money in court costs and sue ( whoever) even if you win in court they can still decide not to pay you

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You sue them. If you’ve been paying by check, that’s all the proof you need that you paid on time. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.