?
? asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 month ago

What would be an impeachable offense to convict Trump?

I'm not really understanding how the Senate Republicans (except for 5 Republicans) don't want to convict Trump.  The people who were arrested at the capitol riot have said they did it because their President told them to.  If Trump gets acquitted again, that means future Presidents are allowed to incite violence and possibly, America could go either extreme left (communism) or extreme right (fascism).  You know, people died and that could've been totally avoidable.  I guess this what you get when you have an idiot for President who didn't know what he was doing.

I just don't like the idea that Trump is going to get away with this, because....if any of us incited a riot at the capitol, we would've been locked up immediately.  

• ree

The "storming of the Capitol" speaks to trump's incitement. Plus, it's also about what he didn't do as the unrest escalated. It's important to most of us trump be held accountable. 

We'll see how the future unfolds. There are many potential possibilities ... some may look wrong today but work out great in the future. I have faith in justice and good judgment/character.

Please, provide a link to your claim "their President told them to".

I've been keeping a close eye on this issue since I have close ties there.

I have not seen/heard on any news channel, nor read any news stories with your claimed statement.

Also, please provide a link to the speech where you say Trump incited violence. Only mouth-breathers on the Left claim that, but funny thing is, they can't provide any examples or links to this "incitement".

First, he'd have to be in office, or that's not impeachment.

nothing at all for Republicans....if he declares himself king of USA, they will support him. Why? He told us himself, there is no crime he can commit that will make them not follow him. The real question is how did these people get so brainwashed before Trump even became President.

This is why a more sage body would wait for the completion of the investigation. If it's found that the Capitol infiltrators organized beforehand (presumably on social media) that would to some degree negate the idea that Trump's words (unwise as they were) were the sole predicating factor. But we tend to shoot first and ask questions later in this country. 

Well : lets see, they already accepted that he could shoot someone on Fifth Ave, so I guess he is not responsible for anything.   

trump will be aquitted for the 2nd time.......LOL

• Jeff D

45 Republicans in the Senate voted to dismiss the impeachment trial against Trump because they thought it was unconstitutional to impeach a private citizen.  Trump's guilt or innocence had little to do with it.

However, no one has to "get away" with anything.  If Trump is guilty of any crimes, he can be charged and prosecuted in the courts like anyone else.  I think the only reason Democrats are so desperate to impeach Trump is because they know know their charges against him won't stand up in a real court of law--but hey, prove me wrong.

The Democrats in the House and Senate are attempting to get Mr. Trump removed from office. That is the one and only outcome that is possible following an impeachment conviction, under our Constitution. I'll be awaiting the outcome. I presume you are one of those who supports going ahead with the Senate trial in order to remove Trump from office. I'll be watching with interest what the outcome is. 

• doug v

You're completely correct - but to answer - Nothing, apparently.

As long as he has 74 million supporters, some of which are prone to violence, there will never be enough Republicans with a spine to vote to convict.

They are not just afraid politically, they are afraid for their (& their families') physical safety. It's hard to blame them, really...

Source(s): Trump did not create division. But he deepened it exponentially & weaponized it. He must never be allowed to hold public office again. It was his depraved lies that drove the insurrection attempt. Many Reps were angry at first but time has seen fear seep back in & take over their souls...