How painful are orthopedic injections?

I'm talking about cortisone injections into knee/shoulder joints, or spinal injections.  How do they compare to the pain receiving a vaccine in your arm or having blood drawn?

I know that they sometimes come with local anesthesia, but does that numb deep enough?

I just recently got out of orthopedic doctors office and he told me that they've stopped using cortisone injections in the elbow and shoulder because they've been finding that there can be cases where it does more harm than good.

I told him that back in 2014 when I had tendonitis in my left elbow, I had two cortisone shots.  He said, yea that's not something we would do now, because it's just a temporary relief, and if we hit a nerve, then you are in far worse than what you were before getting a shot.

I remember it hurting, but nothing to where it drove me insane or something.  Any kind of shot is going to be painful, BUT, that pain does go away maybe within a day or two.  But honestly, I would stay away from getting a shot in the shoulder if it were me.

M -   It is worth it.   Also, it’s cheaper than surgery.   

Take Tylenol approximately one hour before your appointment.  

• Joe

Generally they hurt more than vaccine injections, but the pain goes away fairly quickly. You can always apply ice for a short period of time to help, or take Tylenol.

• TedEx

I had an injection in to my heel  two weeks ago. 

The doc numbed the site with an anesthesia spray, I lived through it 

• ?

no doctor is gonna give you any type of anesthesia for that as i looked it up

• Liz

I used to get injections near my spine for arthritis. A bit painful but tolerable. 

I look forward to the time when God will do away with all vestiges of pain, sickness, and sorrow. Please read Revelation 21:4.

• Tavy

I've had knees and shoulders done, no different than a flu shot. You will get rather warm for a few hours afterwards.

• y

I have had some that were extremely painful, others that were no more then the flu shot, all in the same places too. L4, L5,SI, and right hip.  The second round, when they did them, hurt a lot less then the first round, especially L5, which is alwasy sensitive.

• Murzy

Not painful when administered with local anesthetics.

I don't know, but I am scheduled for one this afternoon.  I'll try to answer your question later.

EDIT: My Dr. decided to hold off the orthopedic injections until after I get a COVID inoculation and booster because the injections tend to weaken the effect of the innoculations..