Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Only snobby and stuck up people correct your spelling and grammar. Do you agree?

• Aye coudnt agreer moe

• L

No.  Those who correct spelling and grammar are extremely smart.  Snobby/stuck up people don't care how they spell or say anything.

English is probably one of the most difficult languages to master - with words pronounced the same but spelt differently. Some times though, when you're typing to reply to someone else's comment  it's very easy to misspell, and there is always someone with nothing to say that's quick to jump on the spelling "BEE" and put you right. there's always a smart alec.

The Fox News newsfeed needs a copy editor.  Or an intern who cared.

Not necessarily , I correct people’s grammar sometimes but it’s not always because I’m “snobby and stuck up” (although maybe sometimes I am). But it probably has more to do with the fact that I’m kind of an English language wonk. I’m just kind of into it.  So it bothers me when people misuse it; maybe you could say it’s kind of an aesthetic thing,  I don’t know. I almost see the language as kind of an art form.I’ve always just been really into words from a very young age, as long as I can remember. 

I used to be able to spell almost any polysyllabic word from memory just after seeing it once. I don’t quite have those kind of language chops anymore at my advanced age,  but I can still do that better than most.  I also don’t know how old you are and I may be quite a bit older than you but when I was growing up we didn’t have Internet, social media, texting, cell phones, PCs or anything. We just read books. Some of us anyway. 

And there was no Internet or social media kind of ‘slang’ going on then. So we actually just learned how to spell correctly I guess. At least correctly for those times.  When I text my son or my son’s mother on my phone they get pissed off because my texts are very long and I actually use complete sentences and not Internet acronyms like “IDK” etc. I’ll just say “I don’t know”. LOL. (Well I do use that one quite often but it took me a while. I kind of resented having to do it in the beginning).  

But I guess you’re not supposed to do that. Use full words and sentences etc. It’s just not part of texting protocol. But I am old and that’s what we used to do. We used to actually hand write letters on stationery, believe it or not, and mail them to one another and so we used words a lot. 

And nowadays if you use too many words and too correctly a lot of people just think you’re weird and a nerd or even a freak I guess. Or “snobby and stuck up”. Or just an old fart (like I am). When I was younger I also used to look up every word I didn’t know in the dictionary if I was reading something. It was something I just had to do; I couldn’t even help myself.

So I guess it’s like if somebody is a musician and has a good ear or maybe even has perfect pitch; it might bother them to hear you play an instrument or sing out of key so they might point it out to you. It might just be discordant to them and offend their aesthetic sensibilities. I don’t know what else to tell you. I’ve already said too much. LOL

Personally, I find the "grammar Nazi's" on social media to be annoying. They actually take away the focus and intent of the original post, causing a grammar fight/lesson to take over the forum. It's different if you are writing a research paper, term paper, or professional journalism in which incorrect grammar and spelling can be looked upon as unprofessional. Most social media is just meant to be a way for people to speak out and get personal thoughts or ideas off their minds. It is not meant to be professional writing. Most mistakes are often due to typos, because some people don't have a lot of time on their hands and are responding rather quickly.  Really wish the "grammar Nazi's" would just melt away or at least focus on answering the post, rather than "playing teacher."

Source(s): Personal reflection.

No. I do not agree. If you want to look like a moron at work, write sloppy and don't bother to spell check. You will get your wish and your chances to advance will evaporate very quickly.

It doesn't take much effort to actually do things correctly so you don't look stupid. And, if you don't have enough respect for your own opinions to express them properly, why should anyone else respect your opinions?

Or when you obviously lost an argument so you’re only comeback is that they used the wrong variation of “you’re”

No, I do not agree.

i dont think so, theyre just trying to help