Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 2 months ago

Should white artists be allowed to depict people of colour?

Given the history of racist caricatures of people of colour found in Western art.  

I think this is a racist question. If you aren't depicting people of color in a racist, derogatory fashion I don't see what the problem is.

I'm an African American. I don't really care about this.

I think most Americans are well-aware of America's racist history at least. A lot of American comics and cartoons depicted people of color in a racist, derogatory manner.

In Latin America they way some Latinos depict Black folks in cartoons and comics is not very flattering. Seriously.

People in Asia have the nerve to depict Blacks in a racist, derogatory fashion too in some cartoons and comics when they are people of color themselves.

In some parts of Europe the way Blacks are depicted in some cartoons and comics isn't very nice either.People don't really complain when people of color depict white people in cartoons and comics. You had two "wigga" characters in THE BOONDOCKS. No White folks complained about those characters in that show as far as I know.

Mike Henry voiced Cleveland Brown from FAMILY GUY. Cleveland is an African American character. Because of the BLM protests last year Mr. Henry decided to step down from his role and other White voice actors who were voicing people of color in cartoons followed suit.

I think that's a bit ridiculous. If a person has a voice that fits a certain character it shouldn't matter what the voice actor's ethnicity and/or nationality is.

Unless a character is being depicted as a racist, offensive, derogatory caricature  then I think the actor voicing the character should step down. A lot of people complained about the Apu character on THE SIMPSONS. But not all Indians had a problem with Apu.

I think political correctness has gotten out of hand. I am not a big fan of political correctness. I think political correctness has gotten so big because people want to avoid a whole bunch of controversy. I think there is way too many snowflakes in this generation.

If you're meaning a white actor playing a black chatacter yeh I agree it's a bit off.

If your talking about a painter or visual artist creating an image I don't see anything wrong with a white person painting a black person, it's kinda just like they were taking a photograph of them ( though considering how unwanted a photo can be I'd say that's worse)

The issue in my mind is when it comes to stylization, you can make a cartoon of a black person without making them a racist caricature. Just be mindful, do your research, maybe have a look at other artist's work.

there's also a bit of a learning curve to painting skin different to your own, it's easy to over-saturate black skin in watercolour for example.

• John

it's not really a question of being "allowed" to.    It's not illegal but it is considered to be in bad taste.

When there are black artists anyway why the F would a white person try and look black ?

Look at it in reverse.  Would it be in bad taste if a black person (very dark skinned) took the role of Abraham Lincoln in a movie for instance ?    Yes because it's putting over a lie. 

Here in UK they would get death threats 

• ?

I assume you mean “blacking up”. This is deemed deeply racist and offensive these days but bit long ago (70s) , we had shows like the black and white minstrel show on peak TV.

To my mind, being an actor is pretending to be someone else. We don’t demand the actor has medical qualifications to play a doctor. So pretending to be another race, I can’t see why it would be racist, but it currently is. 

Mixed race. Still a no no. Only a black person can play it . Not logical at all.

So you're saying people should have rights based on their race? 

You are an example of why America has become a banana republic sh!thole. 

• John

I'm an artist and you do NOT get to tell me what I can or cannot do. We are finished here.

No. Absolutely not. When black people get successful enough to ran their own rice factories they can make a uncle ben logo, until then it is completely derogatory for white people.

Source(s): Feminist, mother, anti-racist, christian, round-earther, fart-artist and trump supporter.
  • Ludwig

No.  Not in America, which is the only nation where there are 'people of colour'.  Whacky term for a whacky land and its whacky people.

Given the fact an artist can chose NOT to depict someone in a racist fashion,  what does it matter who the artist is?