Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 3 weeks ago

I know all Americans are of full English ancestry, but what English country do their roots come from?

Surrey? Lancashire? Dorset? Yorkshire? Oxfordshire?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Mine came from Cambridgeshire and the area called East Anglia. One of my ancestors was an Anglican Bishop, who eventually got a PhD, and I think since his second son just because he was not the first son he was denied all inheritance that he suffered.  His own son came to America and became a VIP.  Many of the early settlers came from East Anglia and thereabouts.  There were English who came at other points in time, too.  A large number came in the 1880s.  As you know, Bob Hope was born in England, and came to Cleveland when he was four.  Most people do not know that Bob Hope was English.  I do not have any royal blood, as far as I know.  My ancestors were more middle to upper middle class, I guess.  

• 2 weeks ago

Fewer than 25 million Americans (7.8%) trace their heritage back to anywhere that is British.  The largest groups are German (14.7%), Mexican (10.9%), and Irish (10.6%). Also 12.3% are miscellaneous African. 

My father’s side is a noble family that traces its origins to the area around Miskolc in Hungary and my mother’s is from the area near Kecskemét, Hungary. 

• 3 weeks ago

Is this trick question ?

Americans come from all over the world .

• 3 weeks ago

AFRICAN AMERICANS are not from Europe and are not British

and Many are Irish from Ireland

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

> I know all Americans are of full English ancestry

No you don't, because most are NOT

• 3 weeks ago

All counties. People came to America from every part of England. And Americans are not of full English ancestry. I don't know where you got that idea. They came from many other parts of the world too.

• 3 weeks ago

None of my ancestors came from England, although one of my wife's grandmothers did; however that grandmother was actually born in Austria, moved to England, and later moved to the USA.

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Many Americans have no English ethnicity.  My Dad is 100% Serbian.  My mother in law is 100% Polish. 

There are many Hispanics and Asians in the US too. The USA is called the Melting Pot. 

• Ivan
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

No, not accurate. It has been a very long time since America was all English. It probably never was. Remember it was the Dutch who bought NY from the Indians,and called it New Amsterdam. The English later bought it off the Dutch and rechristened it New York.

• hihi!
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Ah, the English in America. Like the Jackson family. Andrew Jackson... and Michael, Reggie, LaToya, Jesse... all them English TROLLS pretending to be black.

sarcasm, anyone? as ALL Americans ARE English

• DON W
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Only a small minority of Americans have full English ancestry.  Even in American Colonial days, prior to the American revolution, Americans were a mix of immigrants from many countries, including Holland, Germany, and Scandinavia and yes, what is now Great Britain.

The ones who can trace their origins to England came from all the counties.  In general, though, look to the English counties that weren't particularly affluent.  Rich English rarely moved to the Americas, those who were struggling were more likely to. The rich English who obtained land grants from the Crown rarely moved themselves--they were usually absentee landowners who hired others to manage their Americans properties for them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.