Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 2 months ago

Can a doctor spot any STDs after taking a urine test?

I slept with my ex for the last time in February 2020. We would always use a condom. In June 2020, I had a doctor's appointment. I originally thought that I had a UTI because my pee smelled weird and I had some pelvic pain, and asked for a test. The doctor took my urine, and he said they found absolutely nothing. They also took my blood, and found nothing. Ever since the doctor's visit, I haven't had any discomfort.

I'm currently dating another guy, and we've been sexually active since November 2020. We last had sex about a week ago (we always use a condom). Last night, he was complaining that he feels like he has a need to pee but nothing is coming out. He went to the doctor this afternoon, and the doctor ruled out a UTI, but said he might have Chlamydia or Gonorrhea.... I'm the only person he's been sexually active with since December 2018.

This honestly frightens the living out of me. So many thoughts are running through my mind, but I'm really hoping it's not an STD because I would feel TERRIBLE if I gave him something. But at the same time, I'm not experiencing any symptoms at all....

Okay so I see - you cannot find an STD if you don't request for an STD test. However, how can his doctor spot a sign of Chlamydia/Gonorrhea if they only tested  him for a UTI? (Which is the same thing I did last summer)

Update: I tested negative! He hasn't received his results back but he said he thinks it might be something else. Thanks for the reassuring answers though!

• ?

A UTI isn't considered to be an std, you can get one with out having sex. 

Since you used a condom, if it stayed on an didn't break you wouldn't be likely to get an std. But you should get tested to be on the safe side. 

You can also test for chlamydia and gonorrhea with a urine test (if they asked to be tested for those stds), but other stds are usually tested for with a swab and or blood test. If they only tested for a UTI, they they may not have tested for chlamydia  or gonorrhea. Some stds can take a long time to show signs or symptoms. If he was with some one else before you, he could have contracted it from a previous partner. 

• ?

The doctor or nurse practitioner can check you for any STDs with a simple exam and a blood test or urine test. If it turns out that you do have an STD, the doctor or clinic can start treating you. It is really important to treat STDs as early as possible so that you stay healthy and don't have any complications.

First off it is rare for a young male to come down with a UTI which almost never happens. The urethra in males is much longer compared to the urethra in females and its close a location in relation to the bladder so its easier to get bladder infections in females. Only older men with large prostates are more prone to such UTI infections. 

What young males do get infected is the urethra which is the inner channel towards the bladder and that usually is a sexually transmitted infections (STI). 

STI's can be asymptomatic and turn into symptomatic STD's (I'm not experiencing any symptoms at all). The reason why STI's and STD's are so rampant in the young is because they believe if you don't have any symptoms then you are clean. 

A test of urine for the classic urinalysis may reveal the presence of a UTI but it is not designed to detect STI's. The only way to detect an STI is to have a specific test for that in the urine. 

really?  if you can't understand this, you shouldn't be having sex.  there is a difference between spotting a sign/symptom and actually diagnosing a disease.  most docs are stupid and don't want to be bothered.  they are also afraid a patient will get mad at them if the doc suggests an STD, so they don't bring it up especially with females.

if you continued to have symptoms after the negative UTI test, your doc may have said that was a sign of an STD and suggested testing.  what kind of doc was this?  a PCP? or GYN?

they will only spot a STD if they test for an STD.  Just because new guy says he hasn't been with anyone else, doesn't make it true.

YES, YOU CAN PASS A DISEASE even with a condom, they are only about 99% effective.

Most people who have Chlamydia don't even know they have it -- so he could have had it for years and something decided to awaken it.

- a positive test for Chlamydia might not occur for months after the infection begins.

Most men who have Gonorrhea also don't have symptoms.  Again, it can lie dormant for months. 

If he has an STD, he/you will never know where it came from but you both need to be treated. 

• God

If you always use a condom with him you can't have given him anything.  It was probably some skank he was with before you.

The test will only detect what it was designed to test for. It’s not going to test for herpes if the test is for syphilis. 

Go to your doctor, ask if you've been tested before and get tested again. Try to figure out the truth, and you and your new guy will get this sorted out if you're both ready for a relationship.