Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Did i purchase a good handgun?

I needed a gun for home protectin because my house was recently robbed last week and i dont want this to happen again. Last week i went to the gun shop and purchased this gun called the "Taurus Raging Bull" that the clerk recommended. He says its a good/powerful home protection weapon but i don't like it because its heavy and its EXTREMELY loud even louder than regular handguns. Should i return this gun or do you think its the best home protection gun i can buy?

• WayneH

If it's the .454 caliber it's very much overkill.  Even the .44 magnum is too much for home defense.  The power of that cartridge will go straight through any bad guy and hit who know what on the other side.  It will go through walls.  Take it back and get a .357 magnum revolver or 9mm semi-auto.

Dont miss out this affordable hunting trip https://usawildlifesupply.com/product/book-a-white...

• ?

Hmm. Sounds like you are prepared to defend yourself in Grizzly country. A home defense gun should be (my opinion) full sized or mid sized pistol or revolver. It can be heavier and with a larger capacity. How well if conceals or carry’s is irrelevant. I would stick with 9mm-45 acp. or 357 mag. A concealed carry gun has a lot more size, weight, conceal ability concerns where a lot of compromises have to be made. You might go with a smaller caliber or lower capacity depending on your needs. It’s very important whatever firearm you choose, that you become familiar with it, that you become a capable shot with it, that you can control your shots without developing a flinch. I think a 44 or 454 might actually hinder all that. 

That said, this day and age there aren’t many firearm options out there so you might have to wait for a better option. Also, please learn you local gun and self defense laws. There are tiny nuisances and fine print in laws that can impact your life if you are forced to defend your life that will then dictate if you will remain free or go to prison for the rest of your life. You’ve got to know the rules and learn where those boundaries are. 

Shouldn't you have thought about that before purchase ?

• Matt

Even though I doubt this actually happened. I'd prefer a semi auto over a revolver for defense against two legged critters, for at home defense I'd go with a Glock 17 or other full size striker fired pistol. What you got is a perfect self defense tool for 4 legged critters.

Never had problem with my Taruas 38. Just being honest for home defense 1st timer I'd go-to the range rent a few see what I like buy later at store. Don't be dumb as bricks like this younger generation of pro Second Amendment gun owners who brag and post it on the social media. It's NOT a deterrent. I did 5 years for armed robbery in 90s and let me tell you everyone I ran with in street talk to in prison will tell you when criminals see signs saying you're armed they will rob your house above others on the block. You gotta go to work sometime. And guns are like cash and drugs or jewelry to burglars. Just keep mouth shut and be ready

Source(s): Real street life experience 98% of Americans don't have
  • ?

A gun won't stop some people  wanting to rob your house. What if you ain't home at the time?  What if you are, but the robber has a gun also? 

• ?

to heavy , try a glock 22 , much lighter and no recoil , it will do the same job as the taurus will , most hanguns are accurate for 20 yards anyway . best home protection is have a savage dog , they will protect there home and master . or at worse a 22 rifle is effective but slower . me i had a rifle , and old service 303 , that scares any one ..lol

• ?

You should have done your homework and went to a range that rents out hand guns and tried several. Some grips fit better in one's hand than others, some have more of a kick or recoil, depends on the caliber and gun. You need some lessons and training. Enroll in a class, educate yourself, Good Luck!

• Robin

Why did to buy it and not go along to the training sessions. If you done the training first then you wouldn’t have the problem now