Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How come some bullets when shot go completely through someone and other ones stay inside the body instead of going through someone?

Update:

Example my favorite gun "Taurus Raging Bull".

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

two words.

kinetic energy.

take two objects. lets try this for example 

an airsoft bb 

a car

both going 300fps. for the car that would be 204mph. 

if you were hit with the airsoft bb your body would catch it and it would dump its energy quick and fall. i doubt it would even enter your skin. 

now take the car. going 300 fps. hitting you, it would move your entire body, you absolutely wouldnt survive. 

why? kinetic energy is a formula of energy that is transferred using the speed and mass of an object. both co relate to kinetic energy 

• 2 months ago

The same reason a good steak stays in my belly while a cheesy beef chalupa from Taco Bell goes right through and out the back side.

• 2 months ago

A  .22 won't often go through a skull; a 30.06 can do this.  Some bullets ( the fast part of the cartridge ) can be designed to separate on impact, causing  greater damage.

• James
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Some bullets are designed to penetrate. some bullets are designed to flatten out or crumble and stop inside something that way it's safer to shoot in a crowded area

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It all depends on the shape and the length of the projectile, the velocity it was launched at, and the speed of the torque the rifling in the barrel exerts on it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.