Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 days ago

Was the USA actually popular with the people who lived in the territory in 1776?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago
    Favourite answer

In 1776 when America declared independence, the people were largely divided in thirds. 1/3 revolutionary, 1/3 neutral and 1/3 loyal to the British crown. When the war stalled for the Brits, they moved it to the south where Loyalist sentiment was 50%. It almost worked. Oh those rascals in the south on the wrong side of history again.

• Herve
    Lv 6
    2 days ago

It must've been quite popular as the colonists fought one of the largest empires in history over the idea.

• 3 days ago

The Loyalists who remain loyal to the crown were tar and feathered they movie to Canada. The America motto is that of a Philadelphia Chester soccer team Union ( Join or Die) you get the picture. 

• F
    Lv 7
    4 days ago

I’ve no idea but I suspect it was a case of making the most of it. You had probably sold everything you had in Britain or another European country, most had gone on paying the ship owners to get you there. Going back because you didn’t like it, was not a realistic option for most.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 days ago

With the majority yes. The minority that was not happy about it moved to British Canada.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 days ago

It was action, fashion , going on at the time. There was no movie or music scene...

• 5 days ago

English republic is closer to a banana republic with only landowners retaining rights according to status. 

Red head, we were warned.

• D1218
    Lv 6
    5 days ago

Yeah I heard.             

• 5 days ago

Yes, the tax loving loyalists were in the minority and got chased out to Canada for the most part.

• 5 days ago

What territory? What do you mean "popular"? The US was only formed in 1776.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.